Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: TERS-UIF now online process

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    The amount they have paid out will be a great help to the employees ...however in saying that ... if i add up all the hours I have wasted trying to log on and going back and going back and going back and going back ...telephone calls to the accountant ... emails.... if i had just worked for a fraction of the time wasted i could have paid them their full salaries and some 20 times over

People say but i should be grateful ...no the the useless "civil servants" who get paid more that my company turns over a year... should stop ripping off the public and do their job or get someone who can take charge and do what is required.
    Last edited by ians; 29-Apr-20 at 02:17 PM.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    Money reflects in my bank account this morning... i am glad to see they paid more than i expected... my staff will be happy

I would have also been happy had i not got the little R20 000 electricity account ...they are just gona have to be patient ... i noted CR mentioned in the state address that eskom is "NOT" allowed to switch off anyones electricity due to non payment... i am assuming the same goes for the municipalities.
    Kief

Glad you came right there Ian.

Xolani and I have been doing the odd job here and there so that has sorted out his month's pay and our expenses with a little something for me too.

Big problem is the electrical wholesalers that are still closed. Have to get what we can at hardware stores at a premium lockdown price.

Cheers & peace out .... Derek

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    I have been delaying responding to this post in the hope that someone would have a definitive insight. But no such luck.

So let me share my thought, which unfortunately relies on a bit of anecdotal evidence...

First, you can claim the COVID-19 TERS benefit and make a partial payment too. You just have to declare how much you have paid the employee within the TERS claim.

The heart of the issue though is how does this partial payment by the employer affect what the UIF pays out. The only real clue I have got is a TERS Benefit Calculator I managed to download from SAIT. Testing the idea of part payments on this calculator - the result shows that 100% of any payment by the employer is deducted from the benefit that will be paid by UIF.

Without contribution by employer:

Attachment 7870

And then with a R1000 contribution from the employer.

Attachment 7871

Based on this, the only beneficiary of your partial payment for any payment amount less than what they would have paid without the employer's contribution is the UIF. If you pay more than the amount UIF would have paid, there will be zero from the UIF.

Unfortunately I have found no corroborating evidence to confirm that the calculator is correct in applying the employer's contribution this way.
    Thanks Dave. I suspect everyone else was waiting for an answer as well. I also strongly suspect that your anecdotal evidence is correct. I suppose their main aim is to partially support those receiving no income at all, rather than keeping businesses open for longer. My decision now becomes do I pay them nothing now and let them survive on the UIF portion or do I continue to pay and risk serious cash flow issues on start up .... See, running a business is easy.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Derlyn View Post
    Kief

Glad you came right there Ian.

Xolani and I have been doing the odd job here and there so that has sorted out his month's pay and our expenses with a little something for me too.

Big problem is the electrical wholesalers that are still closed. Have to get what we can at hardware stores at a premium lockdown price.

Cheers & peace out .... Derek
    There are wholesalers open in Durban.. just not the one i normally use ...ARB and all electrical are open... some of the AC/DC branches are open.

I have also done a few odd jobs... i worked right through December and January so it worked out well for me ... i took my leave and a little more than i could afford... it is time for me to return to work ...which i did today.

I was worried work might be a bit slow ...however it looks like we gona start off with boom ... i was considering offer my thermal imaging services to companies to scan staff ...but i dont think i am going to have time.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BusFact View Post
    Thanks Dave. I suspect everyone else was waiting for an answer as well. I also strongly suspect that your anecdotal evidence is correct.
    I now have some corroboration on how UIF is handling part payments here.

It seems very poorly considered as it totally removes any incentive for a company to make part payment as the only beneficiary is the UIF. A pro rata methodology would seem a far more balanced approach. e.g If the employer pays 20% of the employee's normal pay, the UIF only pays out 80% of the TERS benefit due.

The second part of that article also talks to leave reimbursement, which may have a different effect - except no-one seems clear as to the specifics and frankly it looks confusing and risky.

I'll throw another situation into the mix here, one which I have inadvertently landed up in.

Two of my staff members were only laid off for the first two weeks of the lockdown. And with the very best of honourable intentions and as I understood the rules, that is all I claimed for in my application for those two employees. However, UIF paid out for the period 27th March 2020 until 30th April 2020 anyway. I paid over only the two weeks worth of TERS benefit to the employees concerned and have submitted a detailed variation report to the UIF, asking for account details and reference number to use so that I may pay back the UIF their refund due.

It was submitted together with my proof of payment submission. UIF have acknowledged receipt and said they will get back to me once they have reviewed the submission. (I suspect an autoreply).

It's going to be interesting to see how that one plays out.

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	UIFTERS.png 
Views:	114 
Size:	27.7 KB 
ID:	7872

It started last night

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Duplicated
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	UIFTERS.png 
Views:	97 
Size:	27.7 KB 
ID:	7873  

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    When I looked early this morning, they had added an option on the menu bar to load a page with the full list of employers that have been paid. Out of curiosity I clicked it.

I don't know how many in the list loaded each time the browser gave a timeout warning...
    I suspect the load problem will persist until someone works out this was a very bad idea.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Just checked now - the list option is gone and the site is back up.

Gold Member
    Thanks
    It is indeed.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast