Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Internet service

Thanks
    Telkom Mobile is very Cheap. You can look into that.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    That is the challenge - trying to figure out where the problem actually is.

I was having trouble with my fibre at home. Changed the modem router from the cheap one supplied free with installation to a decent series 1200 modem router, and problem solved.
    I installed fibre with MWEB / Vumatel. The fibre seemed to drop out 100 times a day. We did a lot of testing and they said that I should swop the router out. I had my old ADSL router and I installed that instead of the new "little rubbish" MWEB router. (of course the ADSL wasn't used- the router was set up to bridge the fibre) The fibre problems went away immediately. The old ADSL router created a secondary problem - although the Ethernet is fast not all the cellphones would speak to the old router at full speed. It seemed as if the new phones are not backward compatible with the old router. I walked into Hi Fi Corp on Sunday and found a 5 year old 3G/4G router on sale for R199. I took a chance and purchased the router. I connected the "new" cheap router to the old ADSL router as a second bridged router. I now have 4 more Ethernet ports and full speed cellphone access to the fibre networks as well.

To cut to the chase - I solved my continual fibre problems using an old ADSL router and a R199 old 3G/4G router.

The way to determine whether the router is faulty is to connect your PC directly into the fibre box so as to bypass the router. If the PC stays up without issues then the router is faulty. That is how we figured out the the router was faulty. They didn't want to replace my router for free and I wasn't going to spend R2k on a new one.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.