Hi there,

My cashbook has been out of balance since the 1st of May last year. I have found that my May opening balance in Pastel is R8,662.04 less than my true Capitec opening balance for the 1st of May. As a check, I compared my total cashbook Receipts for April to the total Credits on my Capitec bank statement for April. They are exactly the same. I did the same for total Payments in my cashbook and total Debits in on my Captec bank statements. They are also exactly equal for April.

More over if I add these pastel amounts I get the correct balance (as per capitec's online statement):

(Cashbook opening balance April) + (Total Receipts April) - (Total Paments April) = 1,586,893.77 ... which exactly matches capitec's opening balance for the 1st of May.

BUT for some odd reason, my cashbook's opening balance for the 1st of May in pastel is R1,578,230.29 (as apposed to R1,586,893.77)

Question:
I have no idea how to investigate any further... I'm hitting a brick wall now with my limited knowledge. Can anyone point me into a direction as to where I can find this mistake? Rogue transaction? Missing transaction? Goodness I simply don't know.