Thread: Alarm system question

Diamond Member
    Thanks

Alarm system question

Just some academic questions related to an electronics thread on FacePirateBook

Do alarm systems require some sort of certification by insurance companies? What about home built systems? How does one prove that an alarm system is adequate or do insurance companies only insure if an armed response company is involved?

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Let me get my pop corn...this could get interesting.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    Let me get my pop corn...this could get interesting.
    Why?

I thought that you would be able to provide insight into this. I have no idea - I'm just curious.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post
    Why?

I thought that you would be able to provide insight into this. I have no idea - I'm just curious.
    The alarm industry is regulated by PSiRA...I have been scratching in this industry for a few months ...all i am gona say is i didnt think there was anyone actually regulating the industry...considering a 5 day course and you are good to go...lets just leave it there.

The Private Security Industry Regulatory Authority (PSiRA) established in 2002 in terms of Section 2 of the Private Security Industry Regulation Act (Act No 56 of 2001). The strategic mandate of PSiRA originates from the Act and the regulations issued in terms of the Act.

With regards to insurance ...best you contact your insurance broker and put the ball his court ...request a the documentation they will use to determine certification required to assess a claim.

I had a customer request cover for lightning/surge protection for a factory... i requested documentation required to make sure the customer would be covered ... I got an email...it didnt include the documentation ...just a response indicating that it is the customers responsibility to make sure he contacts an expert in the lightning protection filed and and installation electrician to issue a COC for the work carried out.

We have a rejected claim... because the lightning protection installed in the building was not suitable (class 2) because there is external lightning protection...class 1 and class 2 internal protection is required.

Another rejected claim - Due to the policy not including surge (overvoltage protection) only lightning protection...R110 000.00 down the drain... this site had overvoltage and lightning protection...but not covered for elevated voltages.

Another claim rejected claim - The assessor could prove there was no lightning on the day... how ever on this claim they did cover R30 000.00 of the R200 000.00 because protective devices installed to prevent overvoltage...they paid out to replace the overvoltage protection devices.

The only person who can answer your question is your broker ...make sure you get it in writing.

There are too many factors to take into consideration for me to give you a straight answer... the least of your concerns should be a DIY installation ...there is a good chance the workmanship of a DIY job is far superior to one carried out by a sub contractor who has completed a 5 day course to certify him as an installer and is being paid lunch money to complete as many installations as possible to make a living wage.

YOu should be more concerned about stuff like an app which can "bypass" a zone...just imagine trying to claim for a robbery where you have bypassed zone on your app and the insurance company requests the event log... its all well have al this smart technology ...but it just give the insurance company to reject the claim...or you call out the technician to sort out a zone which randomly activates the alarm for "no reason".
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I don't use so called "smart home" technology - anything connected to the web is a disaster waiting to happen.