Thread: Pastel Partner V17 - Slow and unresponsive on Laptop user

Thanks

Pastel Partner V17 - Slow and unresponsive on Laptop user

Hi,
    Hope everyone is doing well.
    I love reading this forum as I learn so much from everyone.
    I have however stumbled across a pastel issue I am currently experiencing and I cant seem to find a previous question relating to my issue. I am hoping someone can assist.

I am a laptop user, Windows 10. Recently my pastel has become slow when logging in, opening the screen and just to punch in log in details takes several minutes as pastel is not-responding. Then general processing of invoices, banking etc has also suddenly just slowed with the same non-responding issue. To call up information, such as doing a bank reconciliation, waiting for the invoices to match takes at least 5 minutes. I had our IT check out the laptop for any issues, but they could not find anything as all other programmes on the laptop is working fine, such as emails, excel etc has no problem. It only seems to be a Pastel issue. When I login on a desktop, I have no such issues so it definitely pinpoints to a pastel/laptop problem.
    All other users of Pastel is working fine, with no issues.

Could it possibly be the hard drive of the laptop that is causing this issue with Pastel?
    or any suggestion of other troubleshooting I can try to fix this would be greatly appreciated.

Take care all
    Christina

Thanks
    How are you connected to the local network?

Ideally you should be connected with a network cable, not a WiFi connection.
    Neville Bailey - Sage Pastel Accounting Consultant
    www.accountingsoftwaresupport.co.za
    neville@accountingsoftwaresupport.co.za
    IronTree Online Solutions

"Give every person more in use value than you take from them in cash value."
    WALLACE WATTLES (1860-1911)

Thanks
    Hi Neville,
    Yes I am connected with a network cable.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Check the laptop network settings. Is it running at 10/100 or 1000? If you are using a cable out from an IP phone, they can often be throttled to 100 by the phone. Confirm that the correct drivers are loaded for the network card and that the status reflects 1000 or 1.0 Gbps. Try swapping the network cable from the desktop to the laptop and see if the speed changes.

Ask It to check the laptop only has 1 anti-virus running, and that they have set exclusions for the pastel program and network scanning (database on server) on the laptop.

Thanks

Angry Has this been resolved?

I have the same issue. But yes, I work through a wireless network which has extremely strong signal, a ping between the workstation and server of 4ms on ave. I have fine tuned the laptops from internet searches to try and speed up the network. I no longer believe it is the network. The speed has become so debilitation, we can only work from one PC. It has not always been like this but has gradually got worse to this point. What is there in PAstel/ Pervasive that can slow this down - from login (over 2 min and another min or so after you get a 'hello' to when the menu moves from greyed out to being able to use it). Dont even try search for a part description . Anyone please put me out my misery.

Thanks
    A followup. I connected two laptops by Lan via the router. No difference. Same slow connectivity. Ping improved to 2ms ave

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Check your anti-virus. Set exclusions on the server machine for on demand scanning of the pastel folder. On the local machines, exclude the pastel and pvsw folders, and the pvsw service (database service manager or ntdbsm, depending on you pvsw version), and network scan.

What version of PVSW are you running, and is it workgroup or client server? If on the workgroup, run pcc, go to configure MicroKernelRouter. Under the performance Tuning, tick the use cache engine block, and restart the service / stop/start the database on the desktops and see if that improves performance.

I live in Midrand as well - can arrange a site visit if you not coming right. You welcome to pm me for details and pricing, should you need to go that route.

Thanks
    As a test open Pastel without being connected to any network and check then, could be a DNS issue.