Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An idea for ending loadshedding

Thanks

An idea for ending loadshedding

I have an idea that might be able to work and maybe contribute towards ending loadshedding.

Doing away with load shedding ( rolling blackouts )

According to Eskom we need to brace ourselves for a protracted period of loadshedding.
    They are talking about 18 months but we all know by now that it will in all probability, judging by
    their predictions and timelines in the past, be nothing short of 36 months.

Why loadshedding ? To put it simply, they can not produce enough for our requirements.

Load shedding, even although scheduled, is counter productive and extremely unfair towards
    consumers who go out of their way to conserve electricity. Billions of rands are lost by business
    because of loadshedding.

Surely there must be a way to avoid load shedding. The advantages of no loadshedding are too
    numerous to list.

How do we reduce our consumption in a fair and sustainable way and put Eskom in a position
    that it should not be necessary to loadshed ?

Business needs to carry on unaffected so as not to have a negative impact on the economy.

My idea is aimed at domestic consumers only and has numerous advantages. They are:

1. It will not have any negative effect on business.
    2. It will hopefully lure people who are presently illegally connected, to connect legally.
    3. It will benefit the poor.
    4. It will increase Eskom's income derived from the sale of electricity.
    5. It should encourage everyone to use electricity conservatively.

The idea is simple.

Instead of blanket loadshedding everyone, only load shed the consumers who use too much.

The fourth industrial revolution is upon us and smart metering should not be too much of a
    challenge. The meters should be capable of monitoring usage over a 24 hour period and shutting
    off the supply to the installation if the allocated usage is exceeded.

It could work as follows:

There can be 4 plans available for purchasing electricity.

Plan A: Daily usage of 0 to 6 units @ R1 per unit.
    Plan B: Daily usage of 0 to 14 units @ R2 per unit.
    Plan C: Daily usage of 0 to 21 units @ R3 per unit.
    Plan D: Unlimited usage at R4 per unit.

The customer when purchasing prepaid electricity must specify for which plan they are buying.
    As soon as the plan is entered at the point of sale, the meter knows what the daily limit is.

To avoid meters all turning off during the night in the event of excess usage, 6 monitoring
    cycles can be used. The consumer has no say into which monitoring cycle they fall.

It could be spread out as follows:

Cycle 1: Midnight to midnight.
    Cycle 2: 4am to 4am.
    Cycle 3: 8am to 8am.
    Cycle 4: Midday to midday.
    Cycle 5: 4pm to 4pm.
    Cycle 6: 8pm to 8pm.

The president has dreams of a smart city and bullet trains.

The above suggestion should be peanuts to implement.

What do you think ?

Cheers & peace out ... Derek

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Would it not be easier for government to just allow existing wind and solar farms to link up with the national grid and make more electricity available? Wind and solar farms are lying idle and the billions spent on the useless escom power stations can be invested in more wind and solar energy as well as other sources of power.

By privatising electricity, you create competition and a more stable and secure supply. Prices will reduce which will benefit all South Africans. Manufacturing costs will reduce and successful, growing businesses will start employing staff again. Citizens will be able to afford hot water, internet and electrical appliances again.

Load shedding is not an option and no solution for load shedding should ever be considered! Rather get rid of the people who caused it in the first instance!
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Silver Member
    Thanks
    There is already something similar in operation already, it's called Tarriff A.

"After having consumed your initial 100 free units and up until you reach 600 units you will pay*
    R1.45,60 per unit (R1.46)
    Between 600 and 700 units you will pay
    R2.47,49 per unit (R2.48)
    Above 700 units you will pay*
    R6.97,54 per unit (R6.98)" (extract from my website, Www.ltcelectrical.co.za)

Perhaps putting ALL non commercial consumers onto Tarriff A would reduce consumption.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk
    To make a mistake is human, to learn from that mistake is knowledge and knowledge is strength.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Loadshedding based on usage does not make sense. Large families,shared accommodation and small home businesses would then be penalized unfairly.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I am already paying, copied off my home bill.
    Network Surcharge R 18.36
    Service Charge R139.09
    Demand Management Levy R416.47
    Totaling R 555.56, and with VAT is R 638.89 before I have even consumed 1kWatt, so where do the above tariffs even fit into?
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post
    Loadshedding based on usage does not make sense. Large families,shared accommodation and small home businesses would then be penalized unfairly.
    This is just another way to get more bucks out of you. Legalized theft!
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Thinking about it now, putting everyone on Tarrif A may achieve the following :

1. Restrict the number of people living in one property by making it impractical due to lack, or expense, of electricity. Anyone who lives next door to five families living on one property will understand this.
    2. Forcing small home businesses to register their business correctly, with corresponding tax implications, before applying for a commercial electrical supply.

Just a thought

To make a mistake is human, to learn from that mistake is knowledge and knowledge is strength.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Leecatt View Post
    Thinking about it now, putting everyone on Tarrif A may achieve the following :

1. Restrict the number of people living in one property by making it impractical due to lack, or expense, of electricity. Anyone who lives next door to five families living on one property will understand this.
    2. Forcing small home businesses to register their business correctly, with corresponding tax implications, before applying for a commercial electrical supply.

Just a thought

I disagree with everything you say!

Silver Member
    Thanks
    I disagree with everything you say!
    And I appreciate your point point of view!

10. Thanks given for this post:

Dave A (17-Feb-20)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I have to agree with Adrianh. Any "solution" to load shedding sounds exactly like people repairing their own roads, fixing potholes, picking up trash, arranging soup kitchens and shelters for the destitute using their own means while the incompetent ANC government sits back and laughs at us for being so guillable! It is the same as people visiting their loved ones in a state hospital and having to provide their own bed sheets and food for the patient just because the state hospitals are being mismanaged by corrupt officials. This is not putting pressure on government to sort out their $#!t and get off their lazy backsides.
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

12. Thanks given for this post:

adrianh (17-Feb-20)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast