Thread: New customers and bad electrics

Diamond Member
    Thanks

New customers and bad electrics

How do you go about telling a new customer that they have a really bad electrical installation without it sounding like you just want to make a pile of money.

I am in this situation... i have been doing a few small jobs for a customer and reached that point... it is time to get an inspection report done.

What i have been doing with new customers ...before i start working on a site i request the COC ...if there is no COC ...I get someone else to do an inspection report so that i have it on record that there are issues which require attention ...i dont tell the customer to fix everything at once (unless it is dangerous) ... but rather offer a quote to repair over a period of time.

I went through a stage where i just put blinkers on and did what i had to do knowing the chance of anyone actually taking action would be so small that I couldnt be bothered... do my job and who cares about the rest.

I have so busy and literally getting new customers by the day ...that is why i am sitting in my office at this hour ...working on a quote for a new customer (big job)
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Morning Ians

When I arrive at a customers place I inform them from the start that all work I do will be compliant and I can not and will not do anything less. And that if I have to work on something that is non compliant I need to rectify it or they must rather ask someone else.

10/10 times the customer prefers this.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanM View Post
    Morning Ians

When I arrive at a customers place I inform them from the start that all work I do will be compliant and I can not and will not do anything less. And that if I have to work on something that is non compliant I need to rectify it or they must rather ask someone else.

10/10 times the customer prefers this.
    It gets complicated when your customer is the tenant and not the owner ... the most common response i get ..."we havent allowed for it in the budget yet".

Something i learnt from my mentor a couple years ago... dont go in guns blazing and try fix the mess in one day ...as i have always done past ...people dont take kindly to that approach.

I am slowly learning to rather apply a more subtle approach... request an inspection report is carried out...list the obvious faults ...then work through them over a period of time ...colour code them ...red for urgent down to green ...ok.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.