Thread: 7 amp/hr alarm gate batteries

Diamond Member
    Thanks

7 amp/hr alarm gate batteries

The fastest R700 you can make in an hour... it seems this is the biggest money making racket at the moment.

Due to load shedding these batteries are lasting around 3 weeks.

After out little incident yesterday... we had to try source 12 new 100 amp/hr deep cycle batteries to replace all the swollen ones.

While in the shop they must have sold 8 x 7 amp/hr batteries... all the same complaint.

When i asked the sale guy in the shop about this problem ...his response was that as soon as the alarm indicated the the battery is it must be replaced...because it has thin plates and the battery is damaged... i disagree.

What i have done is removed the battery...jumpered it with a good battery ..then used a smart charge to get it back up to full charge and rotate...with the one in the panel...goan save you R700 for an alarm or gate tech to replace... it is a simple procedure... unplug the old and replace with a new...it is that simple ...no technical training required.

So here is a question you need to ask...has your alarm or gate got a low voltage cutout switch...if so ...you battery will be ok ...no need to replace...if your alarm or gate doesnt have a low voltage cutout ...you should be asking why not.

this is my opinion ...i believe the trickle chargers in gate and alarm systems are not designed for regular load shedding incidents... (something which should be considered before installing a system) ...Is the battery damaged to a point of no return... it shouldnt be.

is the red light flashing on your keypad ...indicating a low battery try reading the user manual for the system ...there is good chance it might just require to be reset after a few days of no load shedding.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    What battery brand is so expensive?
    You can pick up better priced batteries at Mantech in Durban, Cape Town and Jhb
    or even at Electrocomp at better prices, also in Durban, Cape Town and Jhb.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Justloadit View Post
    What battery brand is so expensive?
    You can pick up better priced batteries at Mantech in Durban, Cape Town and Jhb
    or even at Electrocomp at better prices, also in Durban, Cape Town and Jhb.
    Its what people are charging to replace the batteries (R700) battery and callout.. quick money.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    load shedding and alarm batteries... why they dont last.

I couldnt understand why batteries had to be replaced so often during load shedding ... I ssumed it had to do with the 0.5 amp/1 charging capacity which by the way is more than enough for a 7 amp hour battery (10% of the battery capacity)...

if a system has a 10.5 volt cut out... there is no reason the battery should fail in 3-6 months even if there is load shedding twice a day for 4 hours...regardless of the rate of charge.

yesterday while commiisioning a site ...i finally figued it out... 100s of thousands of alarm companies are installing sytems and creating the problem everyday ... maybe it is just a money spinner for the industry.

The site i am busy working on will be an experiment... it gona cost a few extra bucks but in the long run it will pay off in battery replacement costs and improve capacity during load shedding.

I am still going to look into the lithium battery (cost around R1000 ripping a hole in the public as usual) ... when they become more affordable.