Thread: Inheritance

Thanks

Inheritance

My biological mother passed away in October 2018. The Bank of Windhoek could not get hold of me due to my cell number changing and also, because telegrams no longer exist and so they only managed to find me a month after my mother passed. The lady from the bank sent me R1500 to get my passport and a bus ticket to go to Namibia and sort out my mother's stuff. But I couldn't get the necessary documents and also due to anxiety couldn't simply get on a bus and go. So I arranged with the lady from the bank to go and take the papers and personal items and I got the pastor of a church (my pastor from Cape Town happened to be there at that time and is affiliated with this church) to clean out my mother's flat and donate everything to the needy.

The lady from the bank took all the jewellery and personal items and as she was coming to Cape Town, said she would bring it to me, which she did. She also brought the paperwork for me to sign with effect that the Bank of Windhoek would be the executors, which I did. She also showed me the documentation that indicated I would be receiving an amount of R420 000.

My mother did not leave a will (or it wasn't found) and she was married, although she left the husband some 30/40 years previously but never divorced him. Then I got documentation stating I would only receive R105 000, the state would get around R100 000 and the husband the rest. The Bank said they must advertise again, which I didn't quite understand as they had already advertised in the UK trying to find the husband. Then they made errors in the documentation stating I was married which I'm not and some other error so I sent a fairly strong worded email, I mean really, they work in a Bank and make stupid errors so another delay while the fixed the errors and resubmit to the High Court.

And so now I wait. I fully understand and accept the state taking their share as there was no will and I don't even mind getting the lessor amount, as that alone is like winning millions on the lotto for me personally, but I will try and get a death certificate for the husband in order to get the other +- R200 000.

I would just like comments as clearly these people did not know what they were doing and if anyone can advise reputable companies in the UK for tracing people, it would be much appreciated. I briefly looked into having a person declared dead in abstentia, but that seems to be a long and not easy process. The only information I have on the husband is his name and date of birth. I've no idea where or which country they got married in.

That's about it, thank you Alice Rain

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alice Rain View Post
    My biological mother passed away in October 2018. The Bank of Windhoek could not get hold of me due to my cell number changing and also, because telegrams no longer exist and so they only managed to find me a month after my mother passed. The lady from the bank sent me R1500 to get my passport and a bus ticket to go to Namibia and sort out my mother's stuff. But I couldn't get the necessary documents and also due to anxiety couldn't simply get on a bus and go. So I arranged with the lady from the bank to go and take the papers and personal items and I got the pastor of a church (my pastor from Cape Town happened to be there at that time and is affiliated with this church) to clean out my mother's flat and donate everything to the needy.

The lady from the bank took all the jewellery and personal items and as she was coming to Cape Town, said she would bring it to me, which she did. She also brought the paperwork for me to sign with effect that the Bank of Windhoek would be the executors, which I did. She also showed me the documentation that indicated I would be receiving an amount of R420 000.

My mother did not leave a will (or it wasn't found) and she was married, although she left the husband some 30/40 years previously but never divorced him. Then I got documentation stating I would only receive R105 000, the state would get around R100 000 and the husband the rest. The Bank said they must advertise again, which I didn't quite understand as they had already advertised in the UK trying to find the husband. Then they made errors in the documentation stating I was married which I'm not and some other error so I sent a fairly strong worded email, I mean really, they work in a Bank and make stupid errors so another delay while the fixed the errors and resubmit to the High Court.

And so now I wait. I fully understand and accept the state taking their share as there was no will and I don't even mind getting the lessor amount, as that alone is like winning millions on the lotto for me personally, but I will try and get a death certificate for the husband in order to get the other +- R200 000.

I would just like comments as clearly these people did not know what they were doing and if anyone can advise reputable companies in the UK for tracing people, it would be much appreciated. I briefly looked into having a person declared dead in abstentia, but that seems to be a long and not easy process. The only information I have on the husband is his name and date of birth. I've no idea where or which country they got married in.

That's about it, thank you Alice Rain
    I suppose this is why it is important to keep your will up to date.

Thanks
    Yes, I'm busy doing that, the Will thing! I'm going to try and get hold of the High Court to confirm the Estate is on the list, otherwise I'll contact the Ombudsman.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.