Thread: CCTV and alarms

Diamond Member
    Thanks

CCTV and alarms

I have been involved in numerous CCTV installs and monitoring... been watching a lot of footage which include hijacking...armed robbery and theft.

I believe armed response security...linked to a alarm system is about as outdated as fax machines.

CCTV cameras are becoming more and more efficient ...old systems where basically a means to view movement and that is about it ...due to bad picture quality.

MY advice to you...make sure you understand what it is you are trying to achieve and install a system suitable for the requirements.

In most cases you can upgrade your old cameras and install new 2/4/8 meg cameras...however unless you upgrade the DVR/XVR/NVR to the same quality ...you are wasting your time.

In the old days it was suppose to be a deterrent installing CCTV ...not anymore...you will notice in most cases they wear caps... hats etc...and walk in with their head tilted slightly down.

Install cheap cameras around the property up on the wall for everyone to see or just leave the old system in place ...then spend the money on the good quality stuff which is uploaded to a cloud (these people are not as stupid you think ...they will delete your footage or steal the recorder) Mount the good quality cameras at eye level or lower ...cameras now have facial recognition ...you can tag people wearing caps hats etc and receive a warning message... to be aware of their presence.

Technology with alarm systems is improving by the day...which include home automation features..like switching on and off devices... opening and closing gates and doors.

Another system which you need to pay attention when installing... a red led on a device can be seen from 500m away ...beams etc have the facility to switch off these leds and anti tamper... something i am taking advantage of... is the switching on/off lights using the alarm app... using the PIR and beams to buzz the alarm and switch on the security light at the same time.

Another handy facility which i didnt know about until i started programming alarms... the siren time delay facility... you know how you activate the alarm by mistake them have try switch it off and wait for the alarm company to call creating yet another false alarm... there is a setting which delays the siren and false alarm... so if activate it by mistake it gives you a few seconds to reset.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

2. Thank given for this post:

flaker (04-Feb-20), Justloadit (04-Feb-20)

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Something i have noticed when downloading even logs... one of the most common false alarms... remote panic button activation... it is better to set the remote with a 3 second panic activation on any button... so how it works is you can use a 4 button remote to open/close the gate... open/close the garage door... arm the alarm... stay arm the alarm or switch on your security lights or a combination of light which lead from the garage to the house for example... then if any of the buttons are held in for 3 seconds it sets off the panic alarm.

The alarm systems which i have dealt with have a 999 event log... which you can saved in an XL document.

Do you set your panic to activate the siren or do you make it a silent alarm.

From what i have learnt talking to people... a while back a women who was pregnant had a house invasion ...she set off the panic they beat the living day lights out of her while dragging her around the house... they were never caught... 6 month later they had another house invasion ...this time she had it set to silent ...they didnt even know the armed response had been alerted... 3 of the 4 were caught... something to consider.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Gate beams... a trend which is being used to access your property as you drive in ...the gate will not close even if you try use the remote... i have removed my gate beams and rather open and close my gates as i enter and exit... i would rather be safer than care about a silly dent in the car which is covered by insurance...please note as in my case ...the insurance has added a clause which doesnt cover damage to my vehicle if the gate closes on anyone vehicle.

get your gate tech to fit an alarm to the beams...if someone attempts to block them a siren will activate ...if you have an alarm systems which links to the app on your phone or has an sms module... you can receive notifications ...and if you are smart you will have a camera on the house facing the gate or a camera mounted at eye level at the gate which will take snap shots of the person/s attempting to cover the beams...the vehicle they use and any other members of the gang ... dont be a fool and mount it so that everyone can see it.

Something to be aware of these gangs work in teams... You might encounter 2 ...3 or as many as 4 thinking during the incident...there could be as many as 4+ more of them just hanging around or in another vehicle close by.

I have also noticed they have no colour bar... they attack anyone blacks...whites...coloured...indians and even chinese.

I recently watched footage of black males attacking young black males walking alone..kicking the crap out of another black male as they robbed him of his personal belongings ... i personally witnessed 4 armed black males stop ...get out the car and hold up and rob a young black 150 m away from my house...while walking home from work.

Something i have noticed they all seem to carry the firearm in the the front under the shirt... almost like it is the same people commiting the crimes ...or belong to the same gang or getting experience from the same people.

Always take not of their shoes...colour and type.