Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Electrical nightmares

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I was scratching for the ECA recommended rates for a quote i have to submit...but its a complicated one ...where i have to detail everything... i know they are looking for a cover quote ...but you never know ...i might get the job... the other company has been working the site for a long time so generally the prices become realistic...like R900 per hour for an electrician.

I found the ECA recommended rates ...TCA services (electrical) from the year 2000

under variable inputs

Artisan R34.68 plus O/HEAD 85 %

Assistant R19.46 profit 15 %

20 mm bosal pipe fixed to the surface - lab R11.35 mat. R6.15 total R17.49

Heres a good one R 28.60 per linear metre in soft ground (300X600) ...i dont even think it has reached this price yet ...20 years later...anyone have the going rate to dig a trench for a cable (not the recommended ...the reality price... i know back in 2000 i was charging R12.00 per metre and i was expensive... paying my team members R30 cash per day... 10 member teams were digging installing and backfilling around 100- 150 m per day in soft ground.

Wake up people.

So you ever wondered why all the old die hards are still arriving at the wholesalers ... in what once use to be a nice new white toyota bakkie with a canopy ...but now they on the bones of their backsides barely making ends meet ... some well over 70 years old still trying to make a living because they dont have a pension to fall back on...we all have ourselves to blame ... we created this ourselves by allowing each other to set such low standards in the industry....being paid peanuts for our services...you can blame all the ya bros at the ECA meetings for not pushing for better rates and better profits...and for not forcing the rats out of the industry....enforcing legislation...instead of just taking your money every month... massive pressure should be put on the DOL to employ suitable skilled people who can perform the job required.

I keep these recommended rates and generally use them to quote after 5 years...that when they become realistic if you actually want to get work as a small contractor...and we wonder why so many contractors come and go ...you see the inexperienced newbies all excited with their big contract to wire up one of these badly built estates (even if you paid R5M ...the workmanship is still just as bad as long cost housing) new teams ...new vehicles ...some of them last a year maybe 2 maybe even 3 if they lucky.

One thing i have learnt ...when it comes to "jobbing" ...something a lot of small electrical contractors do ... there is no rate or profit limit... you dont have to feel bad charging a R950 call out fee or R650 per hour ...get that silliness out your head...until you have actually been in the industry and done jobbing to try make a living ...rather dont comment... its shytie rat race...only the strongest survive.

As for the markup ...I wanted to sell my fishing rod stands to a big company to sell online... their markup is 800 % on my product ...yes people 800 %... so your silly little 25 - 50 % markup... Carte Balnche is actually insulting us with this bullshyte and the fact that the ECA climbed on the band wagon makes you realise they dont give a rats a$$ about you... but instead few minute of free advertising for themselves ...can anyone show me how their input positively impacted on our industry... illegally interfering with the integrity of the electrical installation ...just makes it worse ...people are quite happy to walk into places like builder and pay 300 - 400 - 500 maybe be even more % on a plug socket ...so why do you feel bad delivering the same product to a customers property ....installing and offer a warranty...for F%^&&* sakes people wake up and pull head out the ground and start make a livable wage for yourself.

do you see Carte Blanche at places like TEDs home store ...i hear the ads every weekend and i think to myself do people actually buy stuff at Teds home store when there isnt a 50 % discount...just imagine the markup at these furniture stores if they can unload stuff at half the price and still make money?

Jut imagine the markup on products sold at places like woolworths ... i was watching as they load all that food which is not sold that day ...somebody has to pay for it sold or dumped ...woolworths certainly dont loose.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Thanks
    Does anybody know how much it costs to be a member of the ECA? Many years back I wanted to join them when I operated my small business, but they wanted to charge me R 13000 a year which I thought was a rip off to drive with their sticker on my bakkie and I than decided to rather stick with the ECB who charged about R130 a year and was always very helpful when I phoned in for electrical advise. I would like to know how much they now charge.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rifrug View Post
    Does anybody know how much it costs to be a member of the ECA? Many years back I wanted to join them when I operated my small business, but they wanted to charge me R 13000 a year which I thought was a rip off to drive with their sticker on my bakkie and I than decided to rather stick with the ECB who charged about R130 a year and was always very helpful when I phoned in for electrical advise. I would like to know how much they now charge.
    My advice ...stay small ...the less you get involved the better...unless of course you plan to employ teams and expand...if you have more than 2 teams ...you better off with some protection from your staff and customers...cheaper than getting a lawyer.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That link is broken, Derek.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rifrug View Post
    Does anybody know how much it costs to be a member of the ECA?
    2019-20 subs are R1978.65 including VAT.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    That link is broken, Derek.
    Thanks Dave

What it says is " Know your worth and stop giving people discounts "

Cheers and peace out ..... Derek

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Derlyn View Post
    Thanks Dave

What it says is " Know your worth and stop giving people discounts "

Thanks
    I have a 3 minute video that I would like to share on the forum regarding earth leakage relays.

I don't know much about uploading etc. and tried to upload it to you tube.
    After 40 minutes it was only 10% uploaded so I scrapped that idea.

It is in MP4 format filmed with my cell phone.

Any suggestions or tips are welcome.

Cheers and peace out ... Derek

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    The best is to upload it to Youtube (yes, I know it takes time, but you have to be patient). Then use the Video button to insert the URL to the Youtube video.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Embed video button.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	27.2 KB 
ID:	7784

This will embed the video into your post.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast