Thread: Contactors as isolators

Diamond Member
    Thanks

Contactors as isolators

I have just watched a video where a guy uses contactors in the DB as isolators ...they run a trigger wire from a switch panel in the kitchen which switches the contactor on and off.

Where i would think this is a brilliant idea ...fast food stores... if you have ever worked in a fast food store ...you will notice all the plugs or isloators above the cooker units ( i dont know how they pass it like that considering the 3 phase sockets are not connected to 3 phase earth leakage) just imagine trying to switch off the plug or isolator if there is a fire.

This would also work for washing machines...tumble driers etc where the outlet is normally behind the unit... you have the trigger for the contactor in a switch panel in an accessible position ...not in a cupboard above the fridge.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Thanks
    The idea of an isolator is to isolate the part of the circuit/appliance you want to work on. Thus, for safety reasons. It must also be within arms reach from appliance.

I will not trust a contactor that can be switched remotely and it seems to be against regs.

I think the best place to switch off burning appliances would be the DB.

If possible I would rather put the contactor in the DB with control switch at a convenient place.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Think trip wires for conveyor belt safety as an example...

Disconnecting device needs are not just driven by SANS 10142-1 specifications. There is no harm in putting in additional disconnecting devices if the need warrants it.