Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice from IT guys

Bronze Member
    Thanks

Advice from IT guys

Hi all and happy holidays

My son needs a computer for school next year as his school has decided to go digital. No textbooks and no paper hand written notes.

The school has suggested a device - Mecer Fundi 2-1. can be used as a laptop and tablet. I can get for R4 700., including an active stylus in the box. Only 1 year warranty.

I have found a comparable HP X360 for R4 999. It is an HP so better brand and has a 3 year warranty once registered. No stylus included so will have to buy separately. Active stylus can be quite expensive compared to the passive ones. How much better is the active compared to the passive. The stylus will be required for writing on the screen for taking down notes in class. Can the passive one not do the same.
    Sales people are not trained on products so cannot give me good advice.

Hoping someone on here can advise accordingly.

Thanking you in advance.

Kind regards
    Kavesh

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    There is nothing wrong with Mecer products and there South African support is very good.

Thanks
    The ultimate is an iPad Pro with Apple Pencil - the most realistic digital writing device in my experience.

In my business I use the above combination, and have no need for a printer, paper note pad or pen.
    Neville Bailey - Sage Pastel Accounting Consultant
    www.accountingsoftwaresupport.co.za
    neville@accountingsoftwaresupport.co.za
    IronTree Online Solutions

"Give every person more in use value than you take from them in cash value."
    WALLACE WATTLES (1860-1911)

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Neville Bailey View Post
    The ultimate is an iPad Pro with Apple Pencil - the most realistic digital writing device in my experience.

In my business I use the above combination, and have no need for a printer, paper note pad or pen.
    NO - Don't spend a bag of cash on fanboy junk that can't be aftermarket repaired. Apple is a disgusting company that has disgusting business practices.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post
    NO - Don't spend a bag of cash on fanboy junk that can't be aftermarket repaired. Apple is a disgusting company that has disgusting business practices.
    Cant say i am an apple fan boy...but if i look at the 3 apple devices I own ...an iphone 5 ...iphone 5S and an old ipad mini ...and compare to other brands ...the ones my wife uses ... none of her devices have held up... not even 2 years and she has to replace her huawei phone ...it has a firmware glitch ... they want R500 just to look at it...and she looks after her stuff ...I abuse my apple devices ...fallen off out my pocket at 40 km/hr while cycling... dropped the phone from a ladder etc etc ... after about 5 years i final managed to break the screen... R450 later i had a new screen... my iphone is so old it has already had 2 battery replacement... it has just swollen for the 3 rd time (after market batteries ...not apple)

I plan to upgrade my ipad... with a new tablet ...would i buy another apple product... hell yes.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    Cant say i am an apple fan boy...but if i look at the 3 apple devices I own ...an iphone 5 ...iphone 5S and an old ipad mini ...and compare to other brands ...the ones my wife uses ... none of her devices have held up... not even 2 years and she has to replace her huawei phone ...it has a firmware glitch ... they want R500 just to look at it...and she looks after her stuff ...I abuse my apple devices ...fallen off out my pocket at 40 km/hr while cycling... dropped the phone from a ladder etc etc ... after about 5 years i final managed to break the screen... R450 later i had a new screen... my iphone is so old it has already had 2 battery replacement... it has just swollen for the 3 rd time (after market batteries ...not apple)

I plan to upgrade my ipad... with a new tablet ...would i buy another apple product... hell yes.
    I am not getting into this - lets agree to disagree.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post
    I'm not much of an Apple fan myself, but I am interested to know why you make this comment.
    I am actively looking for alternatives to Microsoft that comes with most products.
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Blurock View Post
    I'm not much of an Apple fan myself, but I am interested to know why you make this comment.
    I am actively looking for alternatives to Microsoft that comes with most products.
    There are many many reasons - Apple is a truly disgusting company and I would not use their products even if I were to be given their top of the line products free of charge.

I am not going to get into a debate about this - There are thousands of documented instances of them being total pigs.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Given what I've seen among adults on the topic, can you imagine the playground "debates" between the kids about the merits of the different brands and operating systems...

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Look I think everyone has their own preferences and yes Apple is more expensive. I had an iPhone for years. In fact my iPhone 4 still works perfectly after all these years and the battery is still good. Can you believe that. Whatsapp is no longer supported on an old IOS, what a bummer! Device still looks like new.

Anyways, back to my dilemma I am torn about the device choice. My personal choice would have been the HP which has a 3 year warranty. The Mecer equivalent is cheaper and has the active stylus with only 1 year warranty. An active stylus can cost upwards from R1 000. Because the device is for a Grade 10 boy i really do not want to spend more than is necessary.
    The Mecer power cable is so flimsy, it looks like car speaker wires, literally. That won't last. No idea what replacement charging cables cost.

I think I may just get the Mecer reluctantly.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.