Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Twin+E exposed to the sun

Diamond Member
    Thanks

Twin+E exposed to the sun

I pointed out to someone that it is illegal to install twin+e in direct sunlight... clipped to pole for flood lights.

I am aware that white surfix in some cases has UV protection... however didnt know you could install twin+e in direct sunlight... another inspector indicated that it is allowed.

Your thoughts?
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Thanks
    I’m bit old school, and were tough to only use the black surfix in the sun as it was said to be UV protected. If we use white surfix outside in sun it needed to be in a trunking or a conduit. I still do it like that till someone can show me the regulation stating otherwise. I guess some electricians will allow white surfix in sun and others like myself will not allow it.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rifrug View Post
    I’m bit old school, and were tough to only use the black surfix in the sun as it was said to be UV protected. If we use white surfix outside in sun it needed to be in a trunking or a conduit. I still do it like that till someone can show me the regulation stating otherwise. I guess some electricians will allow white surfix in sun and others like myself will not allow it.
    Unfortunately its not about you and I ...it is about what the little books with all the regs state or the manufacturer.

I still pipe and wire houses ...only because the customer is also old school ...but quoting for work...its flat twin+E in the wall... otherwise the pricing is over the top.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    HI

Twin and Earth is UV stable, Aberdare , anyway - as per there attached spec sheet
    Attached Files Attached Files

5. Thank given for this post:

AndyD (17-Dec-19), ians (18-Dec-19)

Thanks
    @Ians “quoting for work...its flat twin+E in the wall... otherwise the pricing is over the top.”
    The consultants on the jobs we do will never approve those type of installations even if the book says its OK. We would make a absolute killing if it was allowed, but we do tubing and gp wire because than you can give a guarantee on work done and don’t mind fixing any workmanship or material defects even a few months later.

Thanks
    As per GCE, suitability for external installation in sunlight would be down to the manufacturers specs. In the old days only the black PVC used to be UV stable but nowadays the colour doesn't make a difference. Even standard white PVC conduit is mostly UV stable nowadays.

Thanks
    The problem is how do you identify the white UV protected type cable on old installations when doing a COC, I suppose the client must then give proof that it is the correct UV cable used otherwise it needs to be replaced for COC’s. Or is their a identifiable marking on the cable for UV?

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I ask the wholesaler to produce documentation to indicate that the brand of twin+-E they sell is suitable for outdoor surface mount in direct sunlight... i was told straight out ...it is not... it certainly isnt the brand mentioned below

So as an inspector ...how do you sign off a coc where you can see as clear as day that the twin+E is literally crumbling...i would be too scared to rub on it.

I made the common sense call and indicated it had to be replaced... the other inspector mad e the call and said he is happy to leave it...he signed the coc ...who am i to argue

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    I was under the impression that all Twin and Earth had to comply with SANS 1411 part 2 and that part of that particular SANS was that the pvc had to be UV stabilized .

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GCE View Post
    I was under the impression that all Twin and Earth had to comply with SANS 1411 part 2 and that part of that particular SANS was that the pvc had to be UV stabilized .
    The question i ask myself... shouldn't a registered electrical wholesaler take some form of responsibility for the products they sell and ...shouldn't they be educated in the products they sell?

I was under the impression that Yellow certificate of compliance documents had to comply with SANS 10142-1.

How much of the electrical equipment being sold at a China mail is certified (we know it doesnt have to comply with sans ...just needs approval) ... i went to a lighting display last night ...2 houses side by side... covered for roof to floor wall to wall in genuine china mall lighting... lucky it is only 12 volts and plugged into 230 volt sockets scattered around the yard ...they been doing it for 10 years and nobody has every been electrocuted ...so it must be safe .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast