Googled the conductivity of tap water and it is said that because of certain additives, tap water is a conductor of electricity, therefore one should not come into contact with a socket outlet or light switch if your hands are wet. So far ........ understood.

Proof of this is when there's a slight breakdown of the insulation resistance in either a geyser, kettle or iron element and the earth leakage keeps on tripping.

Also in damp weather when that exposed twin & earth feeding the outbuilding, trips the earth leakage relay. So far ...... still understood.

Now I need the guys with more brain matter than myself to explain the following ......

I recently installed an electric showerhead, wired through the earth leakage and as per instructions, with its own 30 Amp circuit breaker and 4mm sq wire.
The unit consists of an uninsulated 5 kw bare element that heats the water passing over it instantly. There is also an earth wire that earths the water not more than 2 cm's from the element. Million dollar question : Why does it not trip the earth leakage relay ?

Derek