Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Water and conductivity

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    IF it takes a 1.5 kw (6.5 amps) element 4 hours (per their university source) to heat a 150 litre geyser and you have an instant heater only uses 19 amps for a few minutes... why isnt everyone rushing out and installing instant heaters?
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    IF it takes a 1.5 kw (6.5 amps) element 4 hours (per their university source) to heat a 150 litre geyser and you have an instant heater only uses 19 amps for a few minutes... why isnt everyone rushing out and installing instant heaters?
    Good question Ians

The big problem is the earth leakage tripping.

I have done some experimenting and with municipal water there's a leakage current to earth of +- 100mA. ( earth leakage trips )
    Using harvested rain water the leakage current down to earth is +- 5mA. Acceptable.

We use harvested rain water so the earth leakage problem does not affect us.

I have now installed a dedicated extra earth leakage relay for the unit so it is fed through 2 earth leakages just as an extra precaution.

As far as the regulations are concerned, as far as I can see, they pass the muster for appliances in zone 1.

a) Earth leakage protection is provided.
    b) Is enclosed in insulating material that it is not possible to touch current carrying-carrying parts with the standard test finger.

We are very happy with the unit so far. Costs about 85 cents for a 5 minute shower. Even less than half the price of a shower using a gas geyser.

As I said earlier, they do not work with municipal water if installed and wired correctly, but with harvested rain water ........... perfect and a good money saver.

Cheers and peace out.
    Derek

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12