I am called out out site to check why 1 camera is not working (installation done by others) i find a page long list of issues... 3 days later everything is working ...linked to idmss plus ...1024 kb/s on all 8 channels... including the replacement of 4 cameras.

I invoice the customer and i get paid.

3 days later i open the app and check that everything is still working fine... 100 percent.

a week later i notice 1 camera ...connection fail... i go to site ...first thing i notice is the camera 8 indicates 154 kb/s so i test the voltage at the camera 12.3 VDC ...all good... plug in my home made test probes so that i dont have to cut the cables... no continuity ... cut the cable half way (30 m) one side has continuity and the other doesnt... i replace the 60 m of cable... what a mission double storey ...long ladders etc.... reconnect and we are back to 1024 kb/s ...all good.

here the thing...

I get back to the workshop and check the cable for physical damage ... none ... not even a nick on the cable ...i do a continuity test the centre pin 0.6 ohms ...all good ... i do the same test on the braid... 3.567 megohm ...so i start cut the cable... after 8 metres i find the copper braid id fill of grey powder... i cut 2 metres off the cable and retest ...all good.

I strip the outer sheath and expose the copper braid ...it is covered in this powder

I notice the braid is made up of aluminum and copper ...not just copper ...the centre core was thinner than the other cables i checked... it didnt surprise me ...the shyte grade cabling out there at the moment is shocking.