Thread: Electricians tools

Diamond Member
    Thanks

Electricians tools

From 30 plus years of hands on site work... these are the tools i have used.

For chasing walls:

The double blade makita grinder comes in first place ...dust free from the start ...only catch ...the machine is more of a DIY product ...i alternate between 2 of them ...as soon as the metal behind the blade gets warm i swop machines... let it cool down.

The makita vacuum is not designed for brick dust... i know i burnt out my armiture twice.

The hilti vacuum comes with the ding dong thingy mabob that hangs in the machine... it does the trick.

Hilti chasing machines are not designed for SA ... i have offered to educate their engineers on chasing walls on more than one occasion... they know better.

Anyone who has as much experience as i do with chasing walls will tell you you ...only a fool pushing a grinder up the wall.

However chasing along the floor ...you must push the grinder forward.

I had both the makita and hilti running in my workshop... using them for wood dust collection ...after a few hours... the hilti stopped... the makita has never let me down while using it for wood dust collection.

However there is catch Hilti dont offer a backup service for their vacuum cleaners... I need to find a vacuum which works as well as the Hilti but has support for the product ...i did get mine fixed at JMM power tools.

For chipping walls... I havent tried any of Hiltis new machines but i can tell you from experience ...makita chippers have the upper hand ...my TE 55 which I have had as long as my business is still working... Hilti didnt strip and replace ever component inside it after 28 year of service for a small fee (they have a max charge fee) ...for drilling 28 mm holes through a concrete slab... its does the trick... in fact I was looking a t replacing the TE 55 with a newer model ...so we did a head to head challenge ...fitted both the old and new machine with brand new 28 mm concrete bits ...my TE 55 was 8 seconds slower ... I decided to save the R15000.00 and will continue using it as long as they offer support for it.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    The marvel cable cutter ...i was a big fan of the cresent pliers ... back in the days before the small marvel cable cutter there was always a pair of cresent pliers in my pocket.

the little bosch 10.8 volt range of machines... these things are the real deal... i have the entire range from the drill to the sabre saw ...you name it ...and about 20 something batteries (each machine came with 2 batteries and a charger)... I have bigger hilti machines as a back... but i can tell you that 90% of my work is done using one of these little power houses.

Screwdrivers ...something we go through a lot... wera is a better quality than most ... i do have a few gedore blue handle screwdrivers... more important is the wera kraftform VDE 16 kit ...it has specific tips for circuit breakers... only used for commissioning... next purchase is going to be a torque screwdriver ...after watching a few electrical youtube videos... i get the feeling i am over tightening circuit breaker screws
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    A tip ...never put your tools in your back pocket while working about a glass or shiny wooden table... i warned one of my employees about this before he even started the job (replacing a light fitting)... when i got back ...there it was the dent in the table top below where he was working... he still denies it to this day... i took the pliers and inserted into the dent... it was a perfect fit.