Thread: Pervasive SQL Workgroup For Windows

Thanks

Pervasive SQL Workgroup For Windows

Hi I recently had to upgrade my whole network to Windows 10 PC's (had to replace all my computer equipment after a burglary in my office, thank you South Africa for making me part of the crime stats, I am honored).

I ran Windows 7 on most of my machines and noticed that specifically Pastel Payroll runs extremely faster on the Windows 7 machines than on my Windows 10 Laptop, best of all the Windows 7 machines are Core i3 machines with only 4GB of ram but my Laptop were a Dell i7 with 8GB of ram. Do note these machines were client PC's connecting to the Windows 7 machine where the Pastel Payroll server were installed. Even though all the machines connected to the Payroll DB over the network, the Windows 7 machines still outperformed the Windows 10 machine.

So now everything is on Windows 10, including the server and Pastel Payroll is terribly slow. So I am wondering, is there a 64bit version of Pervasive SQL Workgroup for Windows, because I only have the 32 bit version and can't find a download for the 64 bit version anywhere. Second thing, is there anything else I can do to make Payroll run faster, it is much faster running Pastel Payroll directly on the server. I can use remote Desktop and run it like that from the client PC's, but that is not ideal because then only one PC can run Payroll at a time. The server is an i5 with 8GB of RAM (the old server was a Pentium Dual Core also with 8GB of RAM, so basically the new machine is stronger than the old server and newer and faster RAM, so I am sure Windows 10 is the main culprit here)

I even ran Pastel Payroll in Windows 7 compatibility mode on the client PC's but no joy either... I have to be honest the backwards compatibility features of Windows 10 is just a gimmick and rarely works with any software from my experience...

Any advice would be appreciated.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    What PVSW are you running - V10? There is a 64bit workgroup V13. You will need to purchase the upgrade from Sage - +- R80 per pvsw user as far as I recall.
    After a total network change like that, there are a few things to check. What Antivirus are you running? Have you set the exclusions for the PVSW processes and the network shares (both on the server and the workstations)?
    Have you confirmed your network speeds - are the NIC's reporting at 100 megs or 1Gb? Sometimes the wrong network driver on a machine can lead to it reporting at 1000 but it only has 100 throughput.
    Typically PVSW 32bit will only use 1 core/thread on your processor (so I was told in the past - I can't confirm that though). The older machines generally had larger processors with fewer threads - so the old machine was running at 3.2ghz and the new one is running at 1.6ghz.
    There are PVSW tweaks - if you run the PCC and configure microkernel router - you can deselect SPX and NetBIOS in the communication protocols to decrease network broadcast traffic. You can also increase the IO threads and communication threads in the local engine configuration.
    Windows 10 networks also have IPv6 enabled over IPv4. PVSW 10 doesn't cater for IPv6, only IPv4. This can lead to PVSW gateway issues. PVSW13 does read IPv6 traffic. There is a registry key change that can be applied to set IPv4 as the preferred protocol.

I suggest starting with the anti-virus exclusions and settings and not play around too much with PVSW, if you don't understand the settings.

Thanks
    Yes runnig PVSW V10, did all the checks you mentioned, network speeds have been checked and running at 100Mps... once I've set up the new network I had to configure the server Ethernet adapter by removing certain flow control limitations as well as energy saving features, because the upload speeds on the server were sometimes capped at 23Mbps, but after removing those silly flow control crap it went up to 85Mbps+ So yes I can confirm network is running at optimal speed. Tried adding Pervasive to the exclusion list, running AVG Antivirus, both on the server and client... and that did not resolve the issue either...

But you happened to point me into the right direction by mentioning Pervasive Control Center. So I browsed through the different settings and under Local Client->Microkernel Router there is a Performance tuning option which tells Microkernel Router to use the local Cache Engine to access a remote file. This works like a charm, now Pastel Payroll is much faster, as if we are running it directly on the server. From my understanding this loads the database from the server into the local cache memory and whenever something is needed from the db, pervasive loads it first from the local cache... I presume that as I make changes this is also written back to the local cache and then back to the server at a later stage? Not sure if there are any risks involved in using this local cache performance tuning, but now Payroll runs really smooth on every client where I enable this feature. Although this had the most significant effect on performance I still added pervasive to the exclusion list of the anti-virus just to squeeze that little extra performance out of the database engine.

Thanks a lot for pointing me into the right direction Kevin, hope this post will also help other users with Pastel Payroll performance issues.