Thread: Combining 2 incoming municipal electrical supplies

Thanks

Combining 2 incoming municipal electrical supplies

Hi Guys,

I've an interesting problem.
    I've got an potential client. It is a commercial property that used to be two separate businesses each with a separate 60 Amp single phase electricity municipal electricity supplies to the same building. The one company has gone bust while the other one has grown. The remaining company's electricity demand has grown to the point where 60 Amp is not enough.

Is it possible to combine the two incoming 220v single phase supplies into one to supply peak loads. The 2 main dbs are relatively close to each other so adding cabling to combine will be easy and relatively cheap.

The Company does not mind getting two electricity bills.

Any recommendations will be appreciated.

Regards

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Hi
    Generally the municipality does not allow 2 supplies to one Erf and it seems unusual that they would have put 2 phases to a single Erf

Often you have 3 phases to an erf and 3 single phase meters, metering the supply if it is under 100 Amps, generally 80 Amps.

If it is one Erf and only supplied with 2 phases from the municipality then I see no problem combining the supplies but not from different DB boards.
    The 2 phase supply would need to originate together from the main DB for a number of reasons but mainly to be able to isolate the DB in the case of emergency.

If it is across 2 erven then , No

You would need to check Municipal bylaws but something does not sound right with the arrangement you mentioned above.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GCE View Post
    Hi
    Generally the municipality does not allow 2 supplies to one Erf and it seems unusual that they would have put 2 phases to a single Erf

Often you have 3 phases to an erf and 3 single phase meters, metering the supply if it is under 100 Amps, generally 80 Amps.

If it is one Erf and only supplied with 2 phases from the municipality then I see no problem combining the supplies but not from different DB boards.
    The 2 phase supply would need to originate together from the main DB for a number of reasons but mainly to be able to isolate the DB in the case of emergency.

If it is across 2 erven then , No

You would need to check Municipal bylaws but something does not sound right with the arrangement you mentioned above.
    In the past you could have 2 supplies ...I have sites in Durban which have 2 municipal prepaid meters on 1 domestic property... 1 prepaid to the house and 1 to the outbuilding... around 2008 i applied for additional 6 more properties to be converted to be converted...i got a letter from the electricity department informing me that they no longer allow 2 municipal prepaid meters ...unless the property was sub divided or sectional title... so we did just that and installed 5 prepaid meters on one site.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.