Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LED 4 ft and 5 ft tube wiring

Thanks
    Remember that electrical or electronic appliances do not have to physically bear the SABS stamp on them or the packaging to be SABS approved.

As long as they are covered by an SABS LOA ( letter of authority ) which the supplier must be able to produce, then it's A OK.

This last week I was requested to connect an electrical showerhead. There was no SABS stamp on the product or packaging so I insisted to see the LOA before doing the job. A valid LOA was produced so I proceeded.

Derek

2. Thanks given for this post:

ians (30-Oct-19)

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Derlyn View Post
    Remember that electrical or electronic appliances do not have to physically bear the SABS stamp on them or the packaging to be SABS approved.

As long as they are covered by an SABS LOA ( letter of authority ) which the supplier must be able to produce, then it's A OK.

This last week I was requested to connect an electrical showerhead. There was no SABS stamp on the product or packaging so I insisted to see the LOA before doing the job. A valid LOA was produced so I proceeded.

Derek
    So we buy a LED fitting with an LOA ... copy the wiring size and lampholders and use the LOA for all your rewired fittings ?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    So we buy a LED fitting with an LOA ... copy the wiring size and lampholders and use the LOA for all your rewired fittings ?
    Hi Ians

You could if you are that way inclined.

That said, I don't think it will be worth the time and effort.

Besides, the LOA contains quite a comprehensive description of the appliance. ie. brand, make, model, etc. much like the Magneto emergency light sold by Builders that you were pushing a while back. No SABS stamp on product or packaging, but covered by a loa.

BTW, bought one a couple of days ago and tested. Brilliant product. Thanks for the heads up.

Derek
    Last edited by Derlyn; 31-Oct-19 at 06:40 AM.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Hi Ians

You could if you are that way inclined.

That said, I don't think it will be worth the time and effort.

Besides, the LOA contains quite a comprehensive description of the appliance. ie. brand, make, model, etc. much like the Magneto emergency light sold by Builders that you were pushing a while back. No SABS stamp on product or packaging, but covered by a loa.

BTW, bought one a couple of days ago and tested. Brilliant product. Thanks for the heads up.

Derek
    "that way inclined"

Lets clear up a few things... i started my business almost 29 years ago ... i did everything by the book ...and i mean everything...even joined the ECA (was a member for 10 years) ECB... DOL... WC etc etc ...the only bad thing I ever did was drive a little faster than i was suppose to ...always in rush... trying to keep customers happy... became an installation electrician ...then a master electrician... even got a code 14 license just in case i needed to drive a truck... started this business with a tool box i got on the railways when i did my apprenticeship and a 6 ft ladder i bought at wardkiss with money i got from selling my motor bike...I also used the money from the motor bike to buy a golf and a set of roof racks.

Because i had no business plan the bank manager laughed at me and told me i wouldnt last 5 years... which resulted in my application for vehicle finance being declined... back then a 1400 nissan was R18 000.00... including the canopy.

Did as many courses on what ever i could...from basic gate installations to PLC training... you name it... attended every amendment seminar offered ... inspection refresher courses.

Only used the best SABS products money could buy...heinemen breakers ...crabtree plugs then moved over to clipsal because crabtree had a sparking issue on their switches... moved over to clipsal... which is now just a piece plastic junk like MES ...horizon and all the rest... Lascon were the prefered lighting brand... klockner moeller and omron were the preferred automation products... etc etc etc.

now that we have that out the way...

All i have seen over the years is a general decline in workmanship and attitude towards the industry... new regs and new SABS books being published ...but until someone employs suitably skilled staff who actually go out into the field and perform their duties... it just gets worse by the day.

A comprehensive guide ... a steel box... 4 lampholders and a couple of pieces of wire...you dont even get a terminal block on new fittings.

Please post one so we can see it.
    Last edited by ians; 31-Oct-19 at 02:28 PM.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Hi Ians

the Magneto emergency light sold by Builders that you were pushing a while back. No SABS stamp on product or packaging, but covered by a loa.

Derek
    By the way i dont sell them... I have a box full of them for my house ...site work you name it... best buy in a long time... it is something we have battled with for many years... if you got 2 hours out of a portable light in the past it was a winner... these light last days on site... i just need to find a decent headlamp which is rechargeable ...bright enough and has the battery backup or a means for quick swop.

Thanks
    Hi Ians

You and I have virtually the same pedigree. Started my apprenticeship on the railways in 1977. Salt River Works Cape Town. After qualifying I worked on the Saldanha Sishen project. It didn't take me too long to realize that good electricians had no chance of promotion. The boss didn't want to lose you so you weren't nominated for promotions. I resigned, started my own thing, never looked back and have not regretted it at all.

Off topic I know, but we have basically followed the same career path.

I decided long ago not to do any work for portnet, transnet etc. because I do not ..... I repeat ..... do not wear a hard hat & safety boots. Also stopped doing house sale coc's. Enough new installations, fault finding etc and it's all cash work. R1 in the pocket still beats R2 in the book. I'm not a credit provider.

I agree with you regarding quality of products. We won't see the quality we were used to again.

That said, I still ensure as far as is humanly possible, to use only SABS approved components or those that are covered by loa's. ( Cover my behind )

The reason I mentioned loa's in this post is because a large majority of electricians are under the impression that the SABS stamp must be on the product for it to be legal. That is not the case. I only learn't that about 2 years ago.

Regards Derek

8. Thanks given for this post:

ians (01-Nov-19)

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I started on the railways in 1982... by the time i qualified 7 years later ... (which included 2 years national service ...3 month township duties... and 3 month tech blocks every year) we were told that there were too many qualified artisans and because indians were being accepted for apprenticeships...back in around 1984...and didnt have to do national service ...they were being trained and qualified in less than 3 years... leaving us without posts by the time we qualified... 1600 of use were offered "trade hand" posts at half the going artisan rate.

I decided to leave and get experience in construction... factory maintenance etc ... a couple of year after i left ...i hear they started offering packages to try get rid of artisans...there just too many skilled people... look at this country today... yet i read an article yesterday indicating that they are still going to force white skilled people out of jobs to create race equity in eskom.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    i just need to find a decent headlamp which is rechargeable ...bright enough and has the battery backup or a means for quick swop.
    Saw a Magneto headlamp at Pick n Pay yesterday.

Not rechargeable, but judging by it's big brother, it must be a good buy @ R65.

Uses AAA batteries.

Derek

11. Thanks given for this post:

ians (13-Nov-19)

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Saw a Magneto headlamp at Pick n Pay yesterday.

Not rechargeable, but judging by it's big brother, it must be a good buy @ R65.

Uses AAA batteries.

Derek
    I have setup an new charge station for AAA and AA batteries... got tired of wrecked equipment due to leaking duracell batteries... moved to energiser and dug out all my old uniross rechargeable batteries ... i was very surprised to see that 60 % of the old uniross rechargeables are still working.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Thanks
    Hi Ians

Just as an aside.

I have had numerous requests to install outside weatherproof emergency lighting.

I have searched high and low and cannot find weatherproof LED spotlights with battery backup that come on automatically in the event of a power failure.

I have however found waterproof enclosures from WACO with a clear perspex lid and quite reasonable. That Magneto lamp fits perfectly into this enclosure. This combination works well as a weatherproof emergency light and I now have some very satisfied customers.

Derek

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12