Thread: Multi-store module

Thanks

Multi-store module

Hi Guys

I am currently working at a client on a new item structure. They have multiple segments to which they want the cost of an item to allocate depending on the place it was sold from.

According to my knowledge an item only has 1 group and can therefor only be allocated to 1 cost of sales account. I have been advised that the Multi-store module will allow me to allocate the same item code to multiple GL cost accounts depending on the store it is sold from.

Is this the case? Does anybody currently make use of the Multi-Store module?

Kindest regards
    Alec Candiotes (CA) SA
    Business Intelligence and Report Automation developer

www.mybi.co.zaalec@mybi.co.za • 072 997 9553

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alec Candiotes View Post
    I have been advised that the Multi-store module will allow me to allocate the same item code to multiple GL cost accounts depending on the store it is sold from.
    That is correct. The same item can belong to a different inventory group, for each store.
    Neville Bailey - Sage Pastel Accounting Consultant
    www.accountingsoftwaresupport.co.za
    neville@accountingsoftwaresupport.co.za
    IronTree Online Solutions

"Give every person more in use value than you take from them in cash value."
    WALLACE WATTLES (1860-1911)

3. Thanks given for this post:

Alec Candiotes (19-Oct-19)

Thanks
    Thank you Neville!
    Alec Candiotes (CA) SA

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Hi Alec

Multi Stores can be a pain, depending on your requirements. Each store has a default inventory group associated with the store. When an item is created it automatically falls into that group, for that store. If you are doing a simple split, eg on location, and want the sales/COS to be broken down per region (eg JHB, DBN, CPT) it works. If you are trying for multi level reporting, eg Item Sales Group A,B and C, per location, you need create multiple inventory groups, and when you add an item, you have to change the inventory group, per store (however many times) before you can process that item. You can't do a simple "Link item to store" for all items, as it won't change the inventory groups - this has to be done manually for each item, per store. Do they need the split in the GL accounts, or only for reporting purposes? you could consider using the project costing module, which doesn't affect the GL posting, but will enable you to run an income statement per project (Location) to see all expenses allocated to that cost centre (not just sales/cost of sales).

Thanks
    Hi Kevin

Thank you so much for taking the time to give such detailed insight. I can gather you are not a fan of this module. It sounds heavy on processing and admin. Is it possible to deal with it within import files?

Regards,
    Alec Candiotes (CA) SA

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Hi Alec

When you create an inventory item, you have the option to select stores. If you do this at time of creation, the item will get the default inventory group for that store. Even if you export and re-import the stock files, inventory groups are one of the fields that are not updated by the import, so the items will remain in the default groups for those stores.

How many stores are they wanting to use, and how do they want the breakdown of inventory groups to post to the GL? If all items in each store will post to that default group (eg sales CPT) then multi-stores works fine.

As a more detailed example - the client repairs equipment on the mines. They keep stock per store, in a warehouse at each of the 28 mines they service, so they are can replace parts with minimal transport delays. They want to report per product line for sales and repairs, eg CAT, Bell, Case, Volvo and JCB. They need an oil filter for a CAT dozer. They create the inventory item OILFIL001. They then have to select all stores, as the item could be used at all mines. On the edit inventory screen, they have to now select Mine 1, and change the inventory group to CAT and save the item. They then select Mine2 and change the inventory group to CAT and save the item. Repeat 28 times for each item created. This is the labour intensive part when creating items.

If they had elected to report on sales per mine, instead of per product supplier, they would set the default inventory group to Sales - Mine 1 for the Mine 1 store, and do this once off, each time they add a new store. When you add an item and select all stores, the item automatically is allocated to the default group for that store, so there is no additional PT when creating items.

Hope this helps clear up what you need to do on the setup.

8. Thanks given for this post:

Alec Candiotes (23-Oct-19)

Thanks
    Thanks Kevin.

Great explanation! I now understand it better.

Hope I can be assistance to you soon.

All the best.
    Alec Candiotes (CA) SA