Thread: pastel express sales journal

Thanks

pastel express sales journal

Hi all you Pastel experts. Need some advice on a Sales journal. In all other companies I worked at, was always straight forward invoicing. easy peasy.... But now i have two companies with a independent point of sale - retail companies . This is all new. installed Pastel - so no figures on the system yet. ... I want to bring the sales figures in as a total amount of sales generated at the shops, and purchases for the goods sold at the shop. I hope I am being clear? What is the best way to do this? General Journal? - what are your debits and credits if so? Sales journal - also presents a problem because it ask for a debtors account?
    just can not get my head around this? I would appreciate all your expert advice.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    If you aren't using Pastel to track stock at all (ie kept in POS system), you can bring in sales and purchases journals directly to the relevant GL Sales and COS accounts. Create a "Cash Sales" debtor - raise the sales with VAT against that, and your banking / credit card receipts will also go against the 1 debtor. Create your suppliers and bring in 1 line item to COS Purchases GL account - payments will be made to individual suppliers. You will have to do a regular stock take to get a closing stock figure, to get an accurate Cost of Sales figure at month end.

If you are tracking stock in Pastel, you will need to create the items, bring them in on supplier invoice / GRN, then get a 'Day End" report of all items sold from the POS. You will then create 1 invoice a day to the same "Cash Sales" debtor, and raise the total quantity and selling price for all items sold that day, to keep stock in balance.

Thanks

Very helpful Kevin thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Smith View Post
    If you aren't using Pastel to track stock at all (ie kept in POS system), you can bring in sales and purchases journals directly to the relevant GL Sales and COS accounts. Create a "Cash Sales" debtor - raise the sales with VAT against that, and your banking / credit card receipts will also go against the 1 debtor. Create your suppliers and bring in 1 line item to COS Purchases GL account - payments will be made to individual suppliers. You will have to do a regular stock take to get a closing stock figure, to get an accurate Cost of Sales figure at month end.

If you are tracking stock in Pastel, you will need to create the items, bring them in on supplier invoice / GRN, then get a 'Day End" report of all items sold from the POS. You will then create 1 invoice a day to the same "Cash Sales" debtor, and raise the total quantity and selling price for all items sold that day, to keep stock in balance.

kevin you are a star!! thank you so much. This has been super helpful. I thought i was loosing my mind. Exactly what i did but wasnt sure it was correct. We not going to keep physical stock items on pastel It will be tracked by the point of sale at the shop but just stock figures at month end. Can I ask one more question regarding stock please ? ... For opening stock figure which accounts are debited and credited? and after second stock take to i post just a variance ?

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Normally you would have a balance sheet stock control account. The initial stock purchased (opening stock/stock on hand) would have been Cr Supplier and Dr Stock on hand (BS). The rest of your purchases would then go to COS (IS). When you perform stock take, the difference between Stock on hand (opening stock) and your current stock value after stock take would then be a Dr or Cr to stock on hand (BS) and the contra entry would go to an income statement account (Cost of Sales - Closing stock)

Thanks
    Kevin thank you so much for all your help. I feel a bit more confident now that you have confirmed how what and where. Really you are a great help !!