Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Main switch height and location

Diamond Member
    Thanks

Main switch height and location

So i have had a few encounters with "new owners" with regards to the height and location of the main switch.

" 6.6.1.6 any point of the DB that has to be reached shall not exceed a height of 2.2 m above FFL or (walking level)" This is where it gets interesting ...to the bottom of the DB ...the middle of the DB...the bottom of the main switch.

The first incident... the DB height from FFL to the middle of the main switch 2230 mm...so i made a wooden step 100 mm high and secured it to the wall directly below the DB...new owner moved in and complained about the DB height...i produced a picture of the platform which had been removed...because they couldnt fit the fridge in the location in front of the DB...and thats how the fight started...my argument is the fridge shouldnt obstruct access to the DB and the DB was installed long before the clever cupboard designer conveniently placed the fridge in front of the DB.

The next incident... the DB is 2240 mm to the middle of the main switch which by the way seem to be about the height that most DB were installed around the same time...i just left it and issued the COC...40 mm...really you gona make a person go to all the trouble of installing a piece of trunking 16 mm wires an extension box and a new main switch...for 40 mm
    The DB was installed...50 plus years ago.

If anyone wants to fix this DB problem...consideration should be more focused on the location and surroundings...space in front of the DB...accessibility and more important issues.

If someone wants to make a law ...all DBs should be mounted in a passage behind the door when it is open at around eye level (5.5 to 6 ft) not arms reach ...so that when the door is closed ...there are no obstructions in front of the DB and short people can reach it.

It should be illegal to mount a DB in the kitchen...especially behind a fridge in the cupboard even if it is only 1999 mm to the middle of the main switch.

I suggested a customer fit a picture frame or a cupboard (150 mm deep) dedicated for the DB...the person told me it is against the law to mount a DB in a cupboard...well i just smiled.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    My understanding of this section is that the entire main switch needs to be less than 2200 mm from the floor.
    The walking level is just that, the walking level. I don't think that a step can be included in the Walking level.
    Just my 5 cents worth

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk
    To make a mistake is human, to learn from that mistake is knowledge and knowledge is strength.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Leecatt View Post
    My understanding of this section is that the entire main switch needs to be less than 2200 mm from the floor.
    The walking level is just that, the walking level. I don't think that a step can be included in the Walking level.
    Just my 5 cents worth

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk
    This is what these platforms are all about...sharing our 5 cents worth.

The step by the way was actually a platform which filled the space where the fridge was suppose to stand...my 5 cents worth is that the fridge shouldnt be in front of a DB even if the DB is mounted at 1.5m

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    My DB is mounted high up in a cupboard, behind a shelf, in the deep dark corner of the scullery next to the tumble dryer which stands above the washing machine . (I tossed the shelf)

I am 173 cm tall and due to the kitchen counter it is hard to reach the thing. I agree, the DB should be mounted exactly as Ian described - it is a damn pain to go rummaging to the thing in the dark especially when there are washing baskets in the scullery as well.

One shouldn't have to struggle to get to it - especially in an emergency.

(And of course ESKOM has now taken up load-shedding again so we are back to faffing with our electricity supply)

Thanks
    This clause for an Engineer such as myself means that FFL or walking level is the Final Floor Level. That is the final finished concrete level without tiles or carpet of the floor at the DB. This does not include a step, platform or such as this is not part of the floor nor can you walk on a step or platform.

Secondly the clause is quite clear in that it states "any point of the DB that has to be reached during normal operation" which means you must be able to reach to any point of the DB, which in my understanding will be the topmost activator of an isolator, CB or switch installed in the DB. However you can install the DB higher if the DB's supply switch-disconnector is LESS than 2,2m above the FFL or walking level. In my opinion I would like to see the activators of the top row of switchgear/equipment in a DB at less than 2,2m from FFL.

Regarding the fridge in front of it, Clause 5.2.8 Positioning and accessibility of electrical equipment applies. Section (b) and (c) states clearly that access to the DB should be "it is readily accessible for installation, replacement, operation, testing, inspection, maintenance and repair" and "there is easy access to its location". Also (f) where the distribution board is concealed by a cupboard or other covering, the notice for live electrical apparatus referred to in annex Q shall be in a conspicuous place indicating the position of the distribution board. If there is a fridge in front of the DB the installation will not comply with Clause 5 and you should therefore cancel the CoC of the premises.

Secondly with a fridge in an enclosure with the DB behind it you will get elevated temperatures and then 6.6.1.4 The distribution board shall be suitable for the environmental conditions in which it operates. will become applicable as well as your wiring and switchgear temperature tables.

Also 6.6.1.9 Distribution boards shall be so positioned and arranged as to ensure safe operation and maintenance. No safe operation if you cannot get to it in time.

My 10c worth from a practical point of view. Rather stand on the regulations and be safe than trying to accommodate someone else's whims and ignorance.

Thanks
    I'm not sure that a built-in fridge in front of a DB would cause ambient temperatures that would be a hazard. Circuit breakers are generally designed to safely operate in temperatures up to 50 or 60 degrees celsius and as high as 75 degrees for some devices. Even above these temperatures they still operate safely but a 'derating' factor may need to be applied due to inaccuracies creeping in on the thermal tripping curve. The inaccuracies will be in the safe direction where the breaker trips at a lower current than its rating so high ambient temps will just result in possible nuisance tripping rather than a possible overload. I don't think a built-in fridge could ever produce temperatures that would cause overheating damage to a DB.

If the fridge was moveable without needing tools I'd usually class the DB as readily accessible. This wouldn't be the case however if the cupboard door needed removing first.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyD View Post
    will just result in possible nuisance tripping rather than a possible overload. I don't think a built-in fridge could ever produce temperatures that would cause overheating damage to a DB.
    Spot on with the nuisance tripping as witnessed a few times in my life.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    my 10 cents worth...

Lets go back a few steps...Anyone ever looked at the bright red sign on the DB... which should be clearly visible at all times... which even makes my comment about the DB being behind the door in the passage a silly place to install it.

IN CASE OF ACCIDENTAL CONTACT OR LEAKAGE SWITCH OFF THIS MAIN SWITCH IMMEDIATELY....INGEVAL VAN TOEVALLIGE KONTACK OF LEKKASIE MOET HIERDIE HOOF SKAKELAAR ONMIDDELIK AFGESKAKEL WORD ...should be in the language of the people using the property...but we wont go there.

So behind a fridge at 1.5 m ...up in a cupboard at 1.9 m which cant be reached because the counter top (you are suppose to fit a label on the cupboard door...i am yet to see one) ...plus the removable shelf obstructing the circuit breakers etc etc ...Why people cant just install a DB in an accessible place ...beats the crap out of me.

A DB should not be installed in a kitchen full stop... i cant tell you how many times i have have to peel the fat and gunge off the screws and pop the cover off all the fat...regardless of the heat...the steam from the kettle...stove and other devices cake the DB in crap...it is this kind of information which the clever people in the offices who make the rules dont even know about...it about time they employed the services of experienced real sparkies... we can dream

One of the most common devices used to reset the E/L unit ... a broom stick.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    A DB should not be installed in a kitchen full stop...
    I fully agree with you. From a design point of view it should be located in the center of the house and in what we call an equipment closet or even better a climate controlled equipment room. With the amount of automation and tech found in a home these days this is the correct place to locate all electrical and electronic equipment and this then forms the hub from where all the services spoke out to the rest of the house. Think electrical, standby electrical, water harvesting controls, alarm, CCTV, underfloor heating (water or electrical) circuits, internet and telecoms, LAN, intelligent building controls, swimming pool control, etc etc, all in one place.

Whenever I am in involved in a design of a building I insist that the Architect design such a closet or room. It has never failed to amaze me how much the service installers and in the end the users appreciate this.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    And it gets worse...apparently the buyer is an electrician and has stalled the sale on the grounds that the islolator is "too" hard (tight) to switch on.

So i videos a couple of installations where the same old isolator is installed ...switched off and switched on ...all exactly the same ... they are all tight.

Contacted the seller ...he has given me the go ahead to replace the main switch and geyser isolator...the buyer hasnt indicated that the geyser isolator is a problem ...however... it is exactly the same as the main switch ...so i have advised the seller to replace both just in case.

Anyone in the electrical industry who works on site will tell you that "all" these old heineman isolators switch off easily ...however to switch them back on ...requires a little more pressure.

This is a first by the way... of all the ridiculous things i have seen and heard while doing inspection report ...this is a first.

So do we add this to our fault report for every job which has one of these old "tight" isolators.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast