Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Main switch height and location

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    So do we add this to our fault report for every job which has one of these old "tight" isolators.
    Some old isolators do not have a kA rating marked on them

On the height issue, the standard is the standard - be glad the dividing line between compliant and not compliant is an exact line.

Where the brown stuff hits the fan is where the main switch is below the maximum height, but isn't easily accessible due to shelving and other obstructions that make physically reaching the switch difficult even although it's in plain sight! A 850 mm wide counter top can make things tricky. A 500mm wide shelf at 1800mm above floor level will make reaching a switch at 2000mm impossible for most people. The fights we've had when we've said "sorry - not good enough. Install an easily accessible main switch" (to meet 6.9.4).

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Had to read the new sans book today ...had to issue a COC and had a disagreement with the tenant...so i had to dust off the book and browse for the correct clause.

Imagine that... according to page 148 caluse 6.6.1.6 "any point of distribution board that has to be reached during normal operation shall not exceed a height of 2.2 m above the floor (or walking level)"

we could sit and argue about "walking" ...a platform built to bring "any" part of the DB within 2,2 m would be hard to challenge .
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Thanks
    @ian, I do not clearly understand your last sentence about "to challenge" but I did check on the definition of floor and walking levels and it is as I said above.

This clause for an Engineer such as myself means that FFL or walking level is the Final Floor Level. That is the final finished concrete level without tiles or carpet of the floor at the DB. This does not include a step, platform or such as this is not part of the floor nor can you walk on a step or platform.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mygoggie View Post
    @ian, I do not clearly understand your last sentence about "to challenge" but I did check on the definition of floor and walking levels and it is as I said above.
    The SANS book refers to the "the floor (walking) level" ...including platforms... tiles... carpets and everything else... think about it... you would only need to reach the DB once all those items are installed... i work in places where the DB is mounted 5 metres above the FFL ...we have platforms and walkways mezzanine floor etc between the FFL and the DB... The COC is only required once the construction of the building and all the finishing are completed.

FFL - Finished floor level is a term used in the construction industry... for construction.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    From personal experience and 30+ years in this industry and having to deal with cabinet installers and their lack of consideration for anybody having to carry out maintenance on other services... my advice is to install a DB behind the door in a passage at eye level height or just above... it is the most practical position i have seen for a DB.

While on the subject of smart locations... alarm panel and CCTV equipment should also be installed above the passage door... slightly away from the wall so that the wiring can be installed via the knockout intended for the wiring in the middle of the panel ...so that the wiring doesnt look like something the dog dragged out your grannies knitting bag and then you tried to hide it by shoving it into a panel... if your workmanship is so shoddy that you have to hide it behind a cover ...you can always clip a board over.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12