Thread: Eskom nails solar owners

Bronze Member
    Thanks

Thanks
    With the constant improvements in battery technology and prices I can see a vastly larger number of people going completely off-grid.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyD View Post
    With the constant improvements in battery technology and prices I can see a vastly larger number of people going completely off-grid.
    They will charge the property the fixed fee whether it is connected or not because the infrastructure still has to be built for the entire neighborhood. I am sure that is the strategy that the municipalities use against people who rely solely on borehole water.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As I understand it, quite a few municipalities are charging an "availability fee" already. The result is when it comes to domestic roof-top PV, your electricity bill can increase rather than be reduced in some cities, despite the fact that you have greatly reduced your electricity draw from the network.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Dont put your solar panel on the front of your house and what ever you do ...dont tell anyone about your solar panels.

Eskom is how many billion in debt...i see they got another bail out...just in time for Christmas bonuses
    Last edited by ians; 11-Oct-19 at 05:59 PM.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    Dont put your solar panel on the front of your house and what ever you do ...dont tell anyone about your solar panels.

Eskom is how many billion in debt...i see they got another bail out...just in time for Christmas bonuses
    They are something like R4 Trillion in debt.

They also have access to Google Earth like the rest of us...

The F..krs will force service providers to declare installations just like they did with TV licenses.

No matter what we do, the middle class will continue to get screwed harder and harder...that is why we are all leaving...

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post
    They are something like R4 Trillion in debt.

They also have access to Google Earth like the rest of us...

The F..krs will force service providers to declare installations just like they did with TV licenses.

No matter what we do, the middle class will continue to get screwed harder and harder...that is why we are all leaving...
    I dont watch TV anymore...one of my customers just bought a huge flat screen for the boardroom...they had the TV modified so that it is no longer a TV but merely a monitor...no TV license required ...i am gona find out how to do it and turn my TVs into monitors.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    I dont watch TV anymore...one of my customers just bought a huge flat screen for the boardroom...they had the TV modified so that it is no longer a TV but merely a monitor...no TV license required ...i am gona find out how to do it and turn my TVs into monitors.
    We got rid of the TV's many years ago. I have 100x100 fibre and everybody in the house have multiple devices. I have two screens on my PC so I tend to work on the one with a tutorial or documentary on the other. We have a computer company in CT called Computer Mania and they sell lots of really large screen monitors that have Android on board. You don't need a TV license for them. The monitors are good for TV and movies but not for CAD or fast games because their refresh rates are fairl low (that is why they are quite cheap)

With 100x100 fibre I download a 1 gig movie in about 10 minutes. I've reached a point where I'm tired of watching movies so I just do documentaries, tutorials and news on various channels. If you set your browsers up properly you can do this without all the ads and nonsense. I would never ever subscribe to Netflix and that sort of nonsense - I am far to picky about the stuff that I watch.