Thread: Power surges and insurance

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Diamond Member
    Thanks

Power surges and insurance

So you take out insurance for your business premises and wahla ...you insured...as we know that is not the case...thats why they use and pay assessors so well...to figue out a way to enforce the small print...clause on page 604 (which you didnt get to while reading the document emailed to you after you signed and sealed the deal)....some might say but that is what insurance brokers are there for...from my experience more for the commission than than the service.

I have some bad news for you...the old lightniting/surge protection in many cases has been revised...if your insurance company even entertains a lightning damage claim... then the assessor will first check the weather on that day ...and just show face as a formality to make you think you have a chance...but in reality you pretty screwed...in many new cases...they dont even entertain your claim.

So what is the big deal...it cant be that bad you have a small power surge and it takes out a few electronic items....R 10 k small change for repairs a couple day you pi$$ed off with the insurance and you back to paying the premium.

What i have been experiencing lately are a few R 100 000 plus claims being rejected due to not being lightning damage ...a simple weather report and your beer money or massage at the local Thai ladies is out the window.

some insurance companies wont even consider your claim if you go to all the trouble of installing surge protection...from my experience ...a waste of time and money unless done correctly.

in most case it is a neutral conductor stolen for a sub station which in turn ...elevates the voltage to in excess of 600 volts (the most common cause of surge related incidents i am called out to investigate) which will blow the crap out of most electronic devices or just chip away at a device ...ever wondered why you hard drive just stops working...and even cause a fire...as i have seen in a few cases.

I am busy with 2 incidents ...the estimated cost to repair R270 000 (double story office blocks)

A note...in this day and age ...everything has an electronic PC board.

What what would i recommend to try prevent this from happening...

Fitted inside the meter box or next to the incoming supply...

A trip connect ( a device used to monitor incoming voltage)
    surge arrester (correctly rated and installed)
    a contactor (which drops out if the voltage drops below 180 v or above 250 v ...this parameter can be set for more sensitive equipment)

Surge protection at the main DB.

The majority of damage done to electrical installations is caused by power surges from the municipality ( i dare you to try claim from them...if you have managed to claim please let us know ...i have folder full of claims) neutral conductors being stolen...excessive volt drop and surges...in one area in Durban i have recorded voltages as low as 170 volts...notified the council they send an electrician out he uses a duspol test and informs you that there is power

2. Thanks given for this post:

Annetta (07-Feb-22)