Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post
Very nice - R2k isn't bad considering the protection that it offers.

As an aside - but along similar lines. I have a nice big UPS on my PC. It works really well and it kicks in every time I forget to buy electricity :-)
but... I have found a really interesting thing with the UPS - When the compressor starts the UPS kicks in. The compressor is of course on a different circuit in the garage and the PC is in the office. I never realized that those motors create such a huge spike that goes all over the house. I really wonder whether equipment doesn't get damaged due to those sort of spikes. Let's say by chance the compressor and the vacuum cleaner are turned on simultaneously - won't the effect be really really bad?
Old compressor aircon units are also bad news...your lights would dim... it causes a volt drop not a surge in power...they suck electricity.

We had an incident where every morning a 5 am the entire factory would "blink" causing all the VSD's to reset and a whole lot of other issues...the operators would have to go around and restart everything...it turns out there was a huge compressor which switched on/off causing this "blink" i got to site at 3 am...setup the recorder and waited...at 5 am on the dot ...there was the glitch on the screen ...and you heard the machine all go down.

As soon as you start adding Aircons...pool pumps...a Jacuzzi...etc etc ...a little more consideration should be taken into the electrical installation...in most cases people dont even consider equipment installed in a domestic installation...everything is considered as general...2.5 for plugs...1.5 for lights etc etc

Something to consider ...using a VSD to either soften the startup current or to fit a 3 phase motor (not sure if you already have a 3 phase compressor) i have a few customers who have down scaled and moved back home...unfortunately they have 3 phase equipment and only single phase power at home... simple... just use a 230 single phase to 400 3 phase inverter...way cheaper than upgrading to 3 phase power.