I was thinking that it might not be mere coincidence that Winnie weighed into the fray the moment it became clear that Jacob Zuma had pole position in the ANC presidency race. But perhaps I was wrong as it seems Winnie is OK with Jacob Zuma as our next State President.

Here is Winnie's solution.
"To resolve this impasse", Madikizela-Mandela proposed "six pillars" towards a solution.

Firstly, ANC president Thabo Mbeki and his deputy Zuma would retain their positions and be returned as such at the ANC's national conference at Polokwane.

Secondly, that "the deputy president after Polokwane will be the firm and assured candidate of the ANC for the presidency of the country in the 2009 election and that conference shall pass a resolution instructing the list committee accordingly".

Thirdly, "that a solution shall in fact be found for the legal difficulties that confront the deputy president".

Fourth, that the "top six of the party should be accommodative of all viewpoints", and fifth that the top six should include a 50:50 gender balance.

Finally, that the additional members of the NEC coming out of Polokwane "shall reflect the diversity of opinions and views of all sections of our movement".

In the letter, she also appealed to Motlanthe to facilitate meetings between herself and Zuma on Wednesday and Mbeki on Thursday, to discuss the suggestions.
full story from IOL here
I wonder what she has in mind exactly when she says "that a solution shall in fact be found for the legal difficulties that confront the deputy president".

Is she suggesting manipulating the legal process, or is she just buying time so that the legal process determines the ultimate outcome?