Thread: Winnie's solution to the Mbeki-Zuma challenge.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Winnie's solution to the Mbeki-Zuma challenge.

I was thinking that it might not be mere coincidence that Winnie weighed into the fray the moment it became clear that Jacob Zuma had pole position in the ANC presidency race. But perhaps I was wrong as it seems Winnie is OK with Jacob Zuma as our next State President.

Here is Winnie's solution.
    "To resolve this impasse", Madikizela-Mandela proposed "six pillars" towards a solution.

Firstly, ANC president Thabo Mbeki and his deputy Zuma would retain their positions and be returned as such at the ANC's national conference at Polokwane.

Secondly, that "the deputy president after Polokwane will be the firm and assured candidate of the ANC for the presidency of the country in the 2009 election and that conference shall pass a resolution instructing the list committee accordingly".

Thirdly, "that a solution shall in fact be found for the legal difficulties that confront the deputy president".

Fourth, that the "top six of the party should be accommodative of all viewpoints", and fifth that the top six should include a 50:50 gender balance.

Finally, that the additional members of the NEC coming out of Polokwane "shall reflect the diversity of opinions and views of all sections of our movement".

In the letter, she also appealed to Motlanthe to facilitate meetings between herself and Zuma on Wednesday and Mbeki on Thursday, to discuss the suggestions.
    full story from IOL here
    I wonder what she has in mind exactly when she says "that a solution shall in fact be found for the legal difficulties that confront the deputy president".

Is she suggesting manipulating the legal process, or is she just buying time so that the legal process determines the ultimate outcome?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I see I'm not the only one to pick up on Winnie's "solve the legal problems" statement.
    She has also called for a solution to Zuma's legal problems. But she believes this was misinterpreted and she has written a second letter to ANC Secretary-General Kgalema Motlanthe explaining her position.

In it she says: "It was never my intention to communicate that the ANC or any institution should interfere with the constitutional and legal processes of our young democracy. My reference to a solution being found to the legal problems faced by the ANC Deputy President relates to the undesirability of someone who would otherwise be a de facto front runner for president of the country appearing in court, for example at the time he might be called upon to be campaigning
    for an ANC electoral victory. This may entail speeding up court processes including his current constitutional challenge to the Appeal Court decision.

"It was also not my intention to subvert the democratic right of ANC members in relation to the list process which would occur in the second half of next year. While it is undoubtedly so that ComradeZuma as ANC Deputy President would be in pole position, the membership would be free to choose him or whoever it deems appropriate to lead the country in 2009. The wrongly stated assertion in my letter is that such an important matter can be decided now, 18 months before the national election takes place."
    full story from IOL here
    I've also heard that neither camp seems too interested in Winnie's intervention.