Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: false alarms

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post
    Yes I suppose you're right. Maybe I just get annoyed because I have to deal with another manual filled with codes and nonsense when I want to perform basic tasks. I'm getting to old to study badly written manuals - I want to have simple interfaces, touch, go and forget :-) (I conned my wife into learning all the appliances with that one - I "could never" work out how to operate the washing machine or the stove...)
    The old days of having to setup up new devices using port forwarding etc are long gone... everything in this day and age is simple and easy to setup... if i look at what was involved in setting up a cctv system for remote viewing a couple of years ago ...compared to the modern apps etc... even my grandmother could do it if she was still alive today... it just gets easier by the day...and affordable.

Email problem
    Thanks
    Look im thirty grew up in the easier age where everything is just plug and play. I know a bit about the other side before technology became so easy and rampant in its growth. What i enjoyed most about that was when you fixed something you knew it was fixed there wasn't a mirage of electrical components and software you can never reach. I dont blame older people yes they're maybe hesitant to get into newer tech, i dont think its for a lack of knowledge just that they would rather know why and how something works. We say things are easy in tech they have been made easy, if you want to plug things in and go, but its also created a massive amount of vulnerabilities to anybody who doesn't understand it well enough.
    Graphic Design company in East London South Africa | Web design company in East London South Africa
    " A plumbers tap always leaks " - Great advice from a forum member

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by New Perspective studio View Post
    Look im thirty grew up in the easier age where everything is just plug and play. I know a bit about the other side before technology became so easy and rampant in its growth. What i enjoyed most about that was when you fixed something you knew it was fixed there wasn't a mirage of electrical components and software you can never reach. I dont blame older people yes they're maybe hesitant to get into newer tech, i dont think its for a lack of knowledge just that they would rather know why and how something works. We say things are easy in tech they have been made easy, if you want to plug things in and go, but its also created a massive amount of vulnerabilities to anybody who doesn't understand it well enough.
    I agree and having a technician who has little knowledge and experience fiddling with network stuff ...like ...routers ...alarms and CCTV open another can of worms... like someone mentioned on another platform ...why would someone bother with your network ...being a small fry ... because you become an easy target.

Simple thing like leaving default passwords just open you for anyone with a little know how.

i see it in our street... you can see which houses they either have got the wi-fi password from the kid living in the house or they have hacked into the network...generally they are just stealing data... most people are connected with unlimited packages so it is no big deal... however there have been a few complaints from people who load prepaid data who cant understand how the data is used up in one day

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Another unhappy customer (false alarms) ...had the security company on site to resolve the issue...still false alarms... so i go take look.

First thing i notice is a make shift connection with 2 wires (like an add on)

Find the wires jammed between the roof beams and wall...looks like a new roof was fitted after the alarm... flippen nightmare trying to trace the cable...eventually find the original cable from the panel.

open the optex units ...no voltage on one unit and 9 volts on the other units...find another rats nest of connections in the ceiling above the second unit...no junction box...no soldering... not even tape over the joints.

cut two of the cables ...find the black (neg) copper burnt black...strip the red (pos)

run a new cable and fit 2 replacement optex units...leave the units set on default "med" ...lift the bottom slide slightly due to the gradual downhill.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    A few things i have noticed in this industry looking from the outside...there certainly is no ethics or standards when it comes to on site installations.

To give you an idea of a site visit...a list of a few things noted.

Starting with the control panels...

they are installed full of holes ...easy access for bugs...ideal warm spaces for bugs to breed and lay eggs... which cause short circuits on the PC boards.

No grommets or glands used to protect cable at entry/exit points to the panels.

they make holes in the ceiling boards and dont patch holes... once again easy access for bugs.

securing wiring in roof spaces is none existent ...however this is not a big deal because generally the installer will run the wiring between the roof tiles and rafters...(other than the extreme high temperatures which i assume dont affect alarm wires other than making them brittle) however hanging wires across a ceiling space as many do...it cause a problem for other services... who sometimes damage the cabling...resulting in an expense to the customer... i just cut the wires if they restrict access to services which require my attention... especially if installers dont have any consideration for other services...it is bad enough having to tolerate the heat and restricted spaces etc and then still having to try work around some inconsiderate installers rats nest.

bad connections... a huge problem in this industry... twisted wires with no solder or form of secure termination... or even a bit of tape to at least cover the open termination... just had an incident where the open wires are touching on a steel beam causing false alarms... had another where the open wires where exposed to the elements which resulted in bad connections causing high resistance ...resulting in volt drop below the rated value of the unit it supplied...causing false alarms.

locations and height of equipment installed...another factor which will impact the reliability of the units installed... there are many factors to take into consideration... beside the manufacturers recommendations.. like sensitivity... distance...type of terrain... obstructions... ...reflection ... animals...birds... the list is long... an experienced installer should be aware and take everything into consideration

Then we go on to the setup... if the default setting on a very basic unit is used... there generally shouldnt be any problem... however as soon as more advanced or expanded systems are used... i would expect the installer to arrive with a laptop and a serial cable to download the system configuration save it and view it to verify all the values are correct... or if the system is new...at least down load the configuration to verify it is in fact correct... this is one of the problem i have experienced on the few system i have checked... incorrect parameters/values for zones etc.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12