Thread: Prevent incorrect date for period being used

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

Question Prevent incorrect date for period being used

Hi there,

Is there a setting that I can turn on which will not allow anyone to make the mistake of using the wrong period for a specific date?

I know we get a warning, but I need something which will completely dissallow this from happening as still these mistakes are getting made.

Thanks
    Michelle

Thanks
    Hi michellepace. Neville Bailey gave this helpful advice in another posting:

In fact, there is an option in Pastel Xpress and Pastel Partner to restrict certain or all users (other than Supervisor users) to process in a particular period only.

To activate this control, edit each user's processing options (under Setup...Users/Passwords...Users) and deselect Multi Period Processing under the General Ledger section.

Then, as the Supervisor, go to Setup...Periods and define the current processing period number in the Current Period field.

Neville Bailey - Pastel Accounting Consultant
    neville@accountingsoftwaresupport.co.za
    www.accountingsoftwaresupport.co.za
    IronTree Online Solutions
    No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop "The Lion and the Mouse"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    Hi michellepace. Neville Bailey gave this helpful advice in another posting:
    Mike, this setting actually refers to restricting certain users from processing in any period other than the period set by the supervisor.
    Neville Bailey - Sage Pastel Accounting Consultant

"Give every person more in use value than you take from them in cash value."
    WALLACE WATTLES (1860-1911)

4. Thanks given for this post:

Mike C (10-Sep-19)

Thanks
    Mike, this setting actually refers to restricting certain users from processing in any period other than the period set by the supervisor.
    Sorry. I thought that was what the OP wanted.
    No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop "The Lion and the Mouse"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by michellepace View Post
    Hi there,

Is there a setting that I can turn on which will not allow anyone to make the mistake of using the wrong period for a specific date?

I know we get a warning, but I need something which will completely dissallow this from happening as still these mistakes are getting made.

Thanks
    Michelle
    Yes, there is a setting.

Go to Setup...Entry Types and under the column headed "Date / Period Entry", select the option "Date Sets Period" for every Entry Type.

You will now see that the Period column in each journal/document will be greyed out and it will change according to the Date captured.

Thanks

Question

Go to Setup...Entry Types and under the column headed "Date / Period Entry", select the option "Date Sets Period" for every Entry Type.
    Thanks Neville (and Mike), I much prefer the option of Date Sets Period.

But before I go and change it for (well everything), am I missing something here? Is there a reason that this wasn't the chose default in the first place? Do you think there are likely to be more/worse errors when processing with Date Sets Period (as apposed to Period Defaults Date) ?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by michellepace View Post
    Thanks Neville (and Mike), I much prefer the option of Date Sets Period.

But before I go and change it for (well everything), am I missing something here? Is there a reason that this wasn't the chose default in the first place? Do you think there are likely to be more/worse errors when processing with Date Sets Period (as apposed to Period Defaults Date) ?
    Good question.

I would have preferred that the "Date Sets Period" option should be the default setting, and I can only think of a handful of cases why anyone would want to process a transaction "Date out of Period".

I don't believe you will encounter any adverse issues by changing the setting for all Entry Types.

9. Thanks given for this post:

michellepace (12-Sep-19)

Silver Member
    Thanks
    With period defaults date, the period is temporarily set to the last period you used in that batch, until you change it. It does mean that you can type 01/01 instead of 01/10 and find yourself in January instead of October. I think there is more room for error with date sets period processing. If your processing clerk get the date wrong on the first invoice of the day, the whole batch could be posting to the wrong period. If they close it down and re-open it, it will revert back to todays date by default. Your best bet to prevent out of period processing would still be the option of removing multi period processing and closing off the period at month end.

11. Thank given for this post:

michellepace (12-Sep-19), Neville Bailey (11-Sep-19)