Thread: Internet provider and cloud base storage

Diamond Member
    Thanks

Internet provider and cloud base storage

I have 3 months left with Telkom ADSL...thank God.

I am looking for a service provider which can offer a "reliable service" with decent support...very important

A service which has no FUP...or any other hidden small print...limits or clauses.

A reliable 10 meg line...with possibly a backup if the fibre line goes down... like telkoms LTE dongle...as technology becomes an essential part of our lives ...remote access cctv...remote access alarm systems and home automation to mention a few...it has become an "essential" service...which is why installing solar panels...inverters and backup batteries have also become an essential service

I would rather pay for my router and installation to prevent any small print ...where the i am tied into a contract because of the fact i dont own the router or the line was installed for free.

I need the service that has adequate upload speed and bandwidth for my CCTV cameras to stream to a cloud...(at least 1.5 M)

A cloud based storage service...it doesnt matter where in the world ...affordable and reliable.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Hi Ian

I would need to know your location, to see which service providers are available in your area, before making recommendations (if we have worked with them in the past).

How many cameras would you need to upload to the cloud, and at what resolution, and how long do you need their retention period to be? Many of the CCTV manufacturers have a free limited plan, for a few cameras and a 7 day retention period. Your requirements here would determine if the free service would work. What make are your cameras? Are they IP cameras? How many feeds do you need running simultaneously? Do you need permanent live feeds, or only motion detection uploads? How long do you wish your videos to be stored for?

Is the cloud based storage for the camera feeds only, or do you wish to keep other data as well? How much storage would you require?

Having a backup connectivity solution that allows you to switch inputs (fibre to lte as an example) will depend on your router. You may require an additional firewall or load balancer to be able to do that. Are the cameras wired or wireless?

Is this a business or home solution you require?

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Smith View Post
    Hi Ian

I would need to know your location, to see which service providers are available in your area, before making recommendations (if we have worked with them in the past).

How many cameras would you need to upload to the cloud, and at what resolution, and how long do you need their retention period to be? Many of the CCTV manufacturers have a free limited plan, for a few cameras and a 7 day retention period. Your requirements here would determine if the free service would work. What make are your cameras? Are they IP cameras? How many feeds do you need running simultaneously? Do you need permanent live feeds, or only motion detection uploads? How long do you wish your videos to be stored for?

Is the cloud based storage for the camera feeds only, or do you wish to keep other data as well? How much storage would you require?

Having a backup connectivity solution that allows you to switch inputs (fibre to lte as an example) will depend on your router. You may require an additional firewall or load balancer to be able to do that. Are the cameras wired or wireless?

Is this a business or home solution you require?
    location can be shared privately... if required... i have noticed vodacom is getting a bad rap for crap service... so we will stay away from them for now.

3 IP cameras ...720 - 1080 (fence and road recording) clear enough to identify a vehicle colur and make (number plate not important)...at night... accessible to other people (a selected group) ...the rest are connected via a DVR (private)...which i would require remote access ...the storage will be dont on the DVR.

make of camera to decide ...Dahua or hikvision would have been the first choice however ...however you can get better for cheaper as the market grows.

continuous recording and storage for 3 days with motion detection to make finding specific events less time consuming.

cloud for 3 cameras only no other data.

as the camera technology improves ...eventually they must create profiles... the same person walking past at the same time everyday for example... and we all know how fast technology is improving.

home solutions with enough bandwidth and upload speed.

the internet access must also be capable download speed and bandwidth to run all the other devices...TV ...tablets ...phones etc.... home automation etc.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Both Dahua and Hikvision are decent brands. Vivotek is also up there. The Hikvision DVR setup is pretty user friendly, and you can set the newer ones up to record your data directly to cloud storage(DVR not NVR). Dahua easy4ip app is free, but I think it only gives you 1 days playback. You might need to push recordings to the cloud for longer access. I have added a few quick links below re bandwidth calculations needed, but estimated you will need around 8mbs upload on the connection, to keep the cameras running smoothly and still allow for the other home devices to run.

https://learncctv.com/hikvision-dvr-...ive-recording/

https://reolink.com/ip-camera-bandwidth-calculation/

https://ipvm.com/reports/bandwidth-t...llance-systems

I will speak to one of my techies during the course of the week and get you some more detailed feedback.

5. Thanks given for this post:

ians (11-Sep-19)

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I have found that the dahua is more user friendly (could be because i use it more often and done basic and advanced courses) ...the problem is the technology is moving so fast that unless you are working with it it on literally a daily basis ...you are getting left behind.

I get notifications for better cameras on a weekly basis... the catch of course ...is your system capable of handling the lastest tech... right down to the firmware ... if you are a ballie like me... i look after my stuff so it lasts a long time... my iphones and ipads cant even download the latest software updates... you have to get use to the idea that everything in this day and age have become disposable... 10 years is a life time and 2 - 5 years is replacement period... an accepting that the little device in your hand rules your life in every single aspect... and capable of handing everything...from remembering your wedding anniversary right down to the how you plan your hour of every day.