Thread: Certificate of Compliance for a control panel??

Thanks

Certificate of Compliance for a control panel??

Good day
    I'm new here and the first time I do a post on a forum...

I wonder if somebody can help me. I am an electronic technician and sometimes do control-panels for a business that install water plants. Its mostly control of 24 VAC valves and small pumps (never more than 2 Kw) We did an installation and now the client wants a COC. I am not registered to issue a COC but asked a electrician who is registered, and he told me a COC cannot be issued for a panel. He told me a COC stop at the supply to the panel.

My questions now is:
    - If a COC cannot be issued on a panel, what can I offer the client or must I just tell him a COC cannot be issued?
    - I did the installation of the two small pumps as well. Do one need to supply a COC on the installation?

Thank you in advance!

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Hi

I have been asked the same question on numerous occasions and managed to get an answer from the Deputy Director for Electrical at the DOL .
    I have pasted the question (in red ) and answer ( in Blue) below .
    Hopefully it will assist

Further to the telephonic discussion .

I had another call querying the COC in a factory and the Health and Safety officer in the factory insisting that the electrical contractor issue a COC for the Machine , similar to the previous enquiry.

We all quote the electrical regulation about the COC stopping at the terminals of the machine.

We need to know what the factory owner needs to do to cover himself to ensure that if somebody gets hurt on the machine he can show that he has complied .At the moment besides saying you need to comply to General Machinery Regulations he is still wanting a piece of paper that covers him.

The other problem is that when these machines come in from outside of the country – Can the factory owner accept the certificates made out under the IEC codes.

This is a problem that is coming up frequently and it would be useful if we could obtain some sort of practice note or guidance from DOL

Dear Sir,

The electrical installation stops at the supply terminals of the machine. In the case of an unit for a specific purpose, the electrical installation will stops at the the supply terminals for that unit.

The competent person in terms of the General Machinery Regulations must take responsibility for the machine. In some cases, we do have specific requirements for machines, such as lifts, escalators, refrigeration plants, etc. where such machinery must comply with specific standards.

People like to shift their responsibilities to other people. The employer must do a risk assessment in terms of section 8 when they are using machinery, so as the manufacturer and importer in terms of section 10.

3. Thank given for this post:

ians (22-Aug-19), jvdh (23-Aug-19)