Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Many Masks of Social Media. Whatsapp goes down.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Email problem
    Thanks

The Many Masks of Social Media. Whatsapp goes down.

Whatsapp went down for a few hours and the many people were so angry. I could not believe the amount of articles I saw on it today. It makes me think we have as a population become somewhat conscious of dependency on social media websites. ( platforms ). Facebook has seen a ton of scrutiny for "making us addicts". I wonder if something like whatsapp doesn't fall in that same class. Even google my business has handles now like twitter. a App where you can communicate/chat with your clients recommend other businesses, favourite businesses, likes, reviews and share your experience via uploading media onto a gmb page as a client.

Gmb and whatapp ( whatapp business ) are startingdown the same road facebook did by making business personal ( which is great ) but as we've seen with facebook ( what they do down the line in terms of expanding and our data ) I wonder if they too wont be susceptible to that same "forbidden fruit".
    Graphic Design company in East London South Africa | Web design company in East London South Africa
    " A plumbers tap always leaks " - Great advice from a forum member

Thanks
    I'm glad to say I didn't notice WhatsApp was down.

Email problem
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Xplosiv View Post
    I'm glad to say I didn't notice WhatsApp was down.
    I was on-board with you. I used to use social media and after a few years I dropped it. However in the business that I am in and many others social media has become just as important as having a website. If it weren't for that I wouldn't have known either.
    Graphic Design company in East London South Africa | Web design company in East London South Africa
    " A plumbers tap always leaks " - Great advice from a forum member

Suspended
    Thanks
    I use WhatsApp GB version but never had such a case

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Download whattsapp app to your computer ... go to settings ... link device scan the code and you bingo ... you can communicate using the computer.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    My family relies very heavily on Whatsapp. My wife is in the UK, my brother in Namibia and my sister in Australia. I keep tabs on my daughters in Cape Town using Whatsapp as well.

When my daughter rolled her car she called me via Whatsapp from the roadside. When my brother got robbed in his house 3 days ago he called me via Whatsapp.

When anything happens in our neighborhood we communicate as a group with armed response in real time. A guy had a fit a couple of days ago and the lady put out a call for help on the Whatsapp group - the neighbors went to go help, the armed response went and they also contacted an ambulance.

When a vagrant enters the area and he makes trouble he gets his picture taken and published on the group so that all the residents can be on the lookout.

Don't try to downplay the importance of practically FREE INSTANTANEOUS communication. I can take a video of a break in in real time and get help in real time.

Social Media might be K@K but Whatsapp has saved our @sses many many times!

I would call the bank in South Africa via my cellphone and get my daughter to call my wife in the UK via Whatsapp. I would sit with the two phones facing one another so that my wife can speak to Capitec - She can't get through to Capitec from the UK directly most of the time.

I am not pro Whatsapp (I am pro instantaneous audio and video communication) If Whatapp turns to crap then we will all switch to Telegram.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Another free tip ... go to waste centre and buy a roll of 50 mmm velcro ... R20 per meter.

Cut piece 50 mm long ... stick the soft side to the back of the phone or whatever ... and the hook side to the anywhere you want to store your phone or what ever ... in a cupboard when you charging ... on the wall in your office ... I put it under the light switch in my workshop ... otherwise my phone disappears into the piles of crap on the work benches ... even on the dash of your car ( I would be careful that the heat doesnt make the glue soft and come off ... put somewhere it can drop into a cubby or something.

The 50 mm velcro sticks like shyte ... I am yet to have something fall of the the wall because of bad adhesive ... it pulls the paint off the wall if you try remove it.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    IF you are not paying for the service you are the product ... it is that simple ... just because the providers promises not to use you as the product ... it doesnt stop them from selling all your info to other services.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I do the same with remotes

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Yea that's kind of the point though isn't it?... we are forced into it, even those of us who despise it, because it is what clients want, so we are in fact part of the problem.
    Thanks for your input and im glad I could give you a laugh.
    No, we are not forced into it. Make a stand an refuse to be bullied into receiving half baked messages on WhatsApp.
    I do not want to deal with unprofessional people who are too lazy to send a proper Purchase Order or request for a quote.

I see that some Body Corps now also send out these lazy half baked messages. It's OK if it is just a general communique such as "there will be load shedding from 10 am" etc, but if it is e.g. a request for approval to pay or do something, it has to follow the formal procedures. Businesses and all juristic bodies require a paper trail to be kept as record of transactions. That is why WA is crap in a business environment.

Yes, I am old fashioned, but the customer is not always right. If you are too lazy to do the paperwork, I'm not going to do it for you.
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast