Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Many Masks of Social Media. Whatsapp goes down.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post
    Put TrueCaller on your phone. It recognizes 99% of numbers and displays the name of the person or company when the phone rings (It also recognizes Whatsapp names and numbers so you know exactly who you are dealing with)
    TrueCaller does not tell me if Joe Soap has a business or whether he is that irritating little man from Hong Kong who wants to sell me an investment. I have blocked him so many times but but they change numbers and mask it to look like a local number. When I am working on a big project I do not have the time to answer stupid questions and answer "surveys" which is a new way of trying to get your attention.

I am old fashioned. Send me an email with your request and a signature so that I can see who I'm dealing with.
    I will get back to you ASAP or filter you out and block you if you are a spammer.

as you said
    Whatsapp is a focus killer
    and an unwanted interruption in my work day.
    Last edited by Blurock; 18-Sep-21 at 10:52 PM. Reason: add
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Email problem
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post
    Wha ha ha hahahahaha - This made my day coming from a Tech Website / Design company THAT HAS A CHAT WITH US VIA WHATSAPP ON THEIR SITE!!!!!!!!

I think I cracked a rib laughing at this lot!

Thanks man... I really had a good laugh.

On a serious note:

Communism definition

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Communism

LoL - So what is Facebook, Instagram, Google and all the other big player scumbags?

This is what they are:

How Amazon, Facebook, Google and Microsoft wage a domestic War on Terror, and make billions

https://www.rt.com/op-ed/534939-big-tech-911-profit/
    Yea that's kind of the point though isn't it?... we are forced into it, even those of us who despise it, because it is what clients want, so we are in fact part of the problem.
    Thanks for your input and im glad I could give you a laugh.

Perhaps there is a better word for censorship, collective ownership, central planning, presenting an illusion of a "common good", propaganda ... for now, I leave it communism though.

The link you posted is new info to me it doesn't surprise me though.
    Graphic Design company in East London South Africa | Web design company in East London South Africa
    " A plumbers tap always leaks " - Great advice from a forum member

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by New Perspective studio View Post
    Yea that's kind of the point though isn't it?... we are forced into it, even those of us who despise it, because it is what clients want, so we are in fact part of the problem.

Perhaps there is a better word for censorship, collective ownership, central planning, presenting an illusion of a "common good", propaganda ... for now, I leave it communism though.

The link you posted is new info to me it doesn't surprise me though.
    I tip my hat to you - Very well put!!!!!!

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Another thing that annoys me about Whatsapp is this: People no longer rely on their own memory - they dump it on other people.

I have a ToDo list on my phone - If I working and I think that I should phone so an so about something I put it on my to do list. If I need to buy something I also put it on my list.
    The list is used to log all the stuff I have to deal with.

Some people, like my one daughter doesn't use a list - she tries to use me as her list via Whatsapp - "Dad I need Tabard", "Dad I need this or that" etc. That goes for customers too - They would message at odd hours with some of other request that just popped into their brains.

This mental laziness to keep track of their own to do lists gets pushed onto others. I see how this happens in my daughter's work - they sit on Whatsapp popping half baked messages back and forth because they do not make lists and of course the ideas are not thought through. A list gives one time to think the topic through before sending it or discussing it.

So the lesson is this with messaging apps like Whatsapp - Be careful not to try and replace your own to do list by pushing whatever pops into your brain onto others - THEY ARE NOT YOUR EXTENDED MEMORY!!!!! WELL I AM NOT - I can't even keep my own crap straight!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    No, we are not forced into it. Make a stand an refuse to be bullied into receiving half baked messages on WhatsApp.
    I do not want to deal with unprofessional people who are too lazy to send a proper Purchase Order or request for a quote.

I see that some Body Corps now also send out these lazy half baked messages. It's OK if it is just a general communique such as "there will be load shedding from 10 am" etc, but if it is e.g. a request for approval to pay or do something, it has to follow the formal procedures. Businesses and all juristic bodies require a paper trail to be kept as record of transactions. That is why WA is crap in a business environment.

Yes, I am old fashioned, but the customer is not always right. If you are too lazy to do the paperwork, I'm not going to do it for you.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Blurock View Post
    No, we are not forced into it.
    This isn't fair on @New Perspective studio - He said that AS AN IT COMPANY he is forced into enabling the service because that is what his market wants. He also said that he personally despises it.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    All the communication systems have one serious drawback - there are too many of them. I am sitting here fretting because I know I got a message from a prospective client yesterday which I read - I thought that I would reply today. I can't for the life of me remember whether it was via....1 of 3 email addresses, 1 of 2 Facebook addresses (personal and work), Whastapp, Telegram or SMS or Telepathy

Stupid stuff... there are so many options that the information gets lost between all the different systems...let alone folders and blockers and stuff....

Eish....

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    One cannot be expected to use all the different social media apps. I do not use Messenger, Instagram, and a host of others that I do not even know the name of. Imagine getting a purchase order on Tik-Tok! WTF!

I want to do business, not play. I give my customers the best service that I can. So keep it professional and we are all on the same page.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    The worst is getting an invoice on WhatsApp
    WTF, now the effort to print this invoice!
    They already were on their PC to send the invoice, why did they not use email?
    Email is now accepted as an official form of communication.
    There is no back up for WhatsApp unless you specifically set it up, why do I want to back up WhatsApp?
    Try and search for a message on WhatsApp? As far as I know there is no search function
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Justloadit View Post
    The worst is getting an invoice on WhatsApp
    WTF, now the effort to print this invoice!
    They already were on their PC to send the invoice, why did they not use email?
    Email is now accepted as an official form of communication.
    There is no back up for WhatsApp unless you specifically set it up, why do I want to back up WhatsApp?
    Try and search for a message on WhatsApp? As far as I know there is no search function
    I do find Whatapp on the PC to be very useful. It is one of the fastest ways to move information between people. I do work for an Industrial Designer and he is out and about all the time. I often capture 3D renders of projects on the PC and just send them via Whatsapp. We sometimes connect via video when we need to discuss parts etc because we can do show n tell.

I do agree though that sending invoices and orders etc is not nice - Like you said - at least with email you have better data retention and security.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast