SARS has updated their SARS eFiling website, and as an experienced user of the old website I had a few problems getting going on the new one.

The main challenge is logging in. It refused to recognise my old username and password combination. After fighting it, then trying the lost password option (which got me nowhere too), I resorted to using the "Lost Username" link.

You will need your cellphone number, email address, ID number and your income tax number handy to complete the process.
Assuming these all match your "old eFiling" profile, you will then select whether you want a one-time PIN to be sent to your cellphone or email address.
You'll then have 3 minutes to confirm through the PIN.
This then lets you create a new password.

I then managed to log in using my old Username and my new password.

Happily, the companies linked to my user profile were all there and it didn't take long for me to find my way around. The only remaining pain point proved to be that historically I have used Internet Explorer for all my eFiling activities. The new website does not like Internet Explorer at all.

So I resorted to Chrome.
Which meant activating Flash for the website in order to be able to submit a return. That took a little mucking about to figure out as well...

I'm a little curious as to how many ways this is going to go wrong for other people. For example the potential for, and consequences of a mismatch with cellphone number or email address seems fairly high...

If you have any exciting moments with the new SARS eFiling interface, please share.