Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Electrical cable advice

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shaneo View Post
    Thanks to everyone for the advice, will be running a 25 sqmm up to the house and then a surfix back down to the gate as lighting will be required at the gate, and because of gate location, theft or damage to a kiosk or DB is a possibility. Does a 4 sqmm sufix supplied from a 5A circuit breaker sound right? And can I run them in the same trench?
    It sounds ok ...however i would still check the tables and make sure...running the 2 in the same trench shouldnt be a problem so long as you dig the trench deep enough for the surfix unless you use mechanical protection...a 25 mm ecc cable already has mechanical protection.

just a note with regards to theft ...mounting cameras visible to the criminals and mountin them high up on the side of a building is not smartest thing to do...if you have a crime issue...use facial recognition cameras which are hidden low enough that they can see the face and not cover by a hood or cap...the new systems will alert you if a person is trying to hide their face and send you a notification...cctv is becoming a more reliable form of crime detection...back in the day when 480 line cameras where used ...they were more for movement than anything else...new technology has made them a much better crime prevention tool if installed and setup correctly in the right locations.

something else while of the crime subject...cctv ...wireless nano units etc etc ...for neighborhood watch is becoming a very useful tool...if you are smart you will have a fibre cable installed to a point get the max speed available and not suckered by companies trying to screw you with FUP clauses...then fit cameras around the hood...with wireless nano stations which will serve 2 purposes.

one give all the patrollers access to free wifi making it easy to link to cameras setup around the hood to view if required which would mean you can stream in HD...and saving you tons of cash having to pay to transmit via cellphone networks...you dont need to send the data to a XVR and them try download later blah blah...something to think about...just make sure the network is secure.

Thanks
    Hi guys.
    I'm under the impression that no other cable is allowed in the same trench as main supply to house. I do not have the book to confirm but I'm sure I read it somewhere.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Hi Tang

No other cable is allowed to run in the suppliers trench.
    In this case you will be running the cables in a trench after the point of supply and so it will not be the suppliers cable or trench.

6.4 Positioning and fixing of cables
    6.4.1 Positioning
    A cable shall not be run
    a) in the same trench or wireway as a supplier's cable, except with the
    supplier's permission,

Thanks

Ring circuits for elv

Hi guys.
    Are there anything restricting me making a ring circuit on a 12m long
    24V led tapelight?
    Would appreciate your input.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    I would get the suppliers consent in writing to prevent a come back. Trust me the comeback happens fast with some of the LED tape.Make sure it is mounted onto alu strips as a heatshink
    Majority do not want you to use tails longer than 5m , so I would think you may have a problem.

I am on a contract at the moment and have left the consultant and preferred supplier to fight out the tail length - They have got to 10m , whereas the design calls for 30m on the longest run

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12