Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: COC 12 volt lights

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Firstly my apologies...the new PV regulations are still a draft and not been released yet ...something to look forward to.

Just to update my opinion...after doing some homework...personally i would issue a COC for the electrical installation and either issue a completely separate COC for the solar installation...or attached a separate document with all the details with regards to the solar installation to your COC ...as it was pointed out to me during a conversation...at the end of the day it is all about creating a safer environment...as long as you have taken the necessary steps as per section 4 of the COC and checked that the components have been correctly selected and installed correctly ...what more can you do.

The reason i would do it like that...The COC allows for a main DB and sub DBS ...it doesnt have provision for a 2 main DB's ...unless there is a later version that i am not aware of...i dont believe the solar system (if like my system...completely separate from the eskom supply) can be regarded as a sub DB.

Thanks
    Thank you for the responses.

I'm sure I did the correct thing by including those lights with the necessary notes of where they are supplied from and that they are 12 volt.

So glad that I joined this forum.

These discussions benefit all who strive to do things correctly but sometimes find themselves in a position of uncertainty, as I was.

This old toppie is still learning something new everyday.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I know the feeling i have been in this industry for almost 40 years and literally everyday i am learning something new...just when i think i have caught up...for example load shedding started back in 2008 ...from installing 1 generator in 10 years to suddenly installing 10 in a month...with very little knowledge or guidance back then we had to learn quick and make it safe...some of my projects where visited...pics where taken and drawing where used as examples...now we have a book full of regs to guide us and learn from....just when you think you have caught up again PV installations become the new hit in town and have to learn again.

I have to say...i have never really taken much interest in PV rules until this thread was started...I installed my solar panel... batteries and lights in my house about 5 years ago thinking it is a 12 volt system not linked to the electrical installation in any way...it still works...however would it pass a coc...not sure and the reason i will go into in more details when i have more time.

solar panel ...does it have any certification...is it installed in the correct manner and location?
    the cable size and length from the panel to the control unit/charger...how far is the control panel from the solar units ...is it suitable for the application and volt drop...did i use the correct type of wire?
    The control box...is it certified...SABS...IEC...CE or the like?
    overload protection...are the fuses correctly sized for the low voltage and installed in the right location?
    and many more as per section 4 of the COC?

We havent even got to the output yet and i can already see a few issues with my installation at home .

When i installed the system 5 maybe 6 years ago...i think the regs were still in draft....so does my installation have to comply...considering the installation before a certain time dont need to comply with new regs...mmm... interesting lets hear what the experts have to say.

Thanks
    With round 71X of load shedding it has come to the stage where the need for ceiling mounted 12 Volt LED 3 Watt downlights in our home has dawned.
    Has SANS 0142 matured to be consise in the requirements?

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Hi

Sans has always been concise with regards to 12v alternative supplies - It was people that create the confusion

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12