Thread: How to "undo" a cashbook entry to a GL a/c and rather map to a supplier

Thanks

Question How to "undo" a cashbook entry to a GL a/c and rather map to a supplier

Hi there,

We have Voda Plumming as a supplier in Pastel. I imported our bank transactions, and when I was mapping my cashbook I accidentally mapped the payment we made to Voda Plumming to the GL account "Maintenace". I then updated my batch. What I really should have done is mapped it to S for a suppler, and then Voda Plumming.

Does anyone know how I can undo my mistake and have it map to Voda Plumming? Really, the end result I need to make sure of is that when I pull my suppliers report, our expenditure on Voda Plumming will be correctly reflected. I suspect then I need to do a couple of adjustments?

Sorry, quite confused here. I'd really appreciate the help.

Best regards,
    Michelle

Thanks
    Hi Michelle.

First make a backup so that if things do not work out the way you expect them to you can restore and try again.

Now make the exact same entry that you did under payments using the GL Account "Maintenance". Same date ... same reference same everything ... EXCEPT make the amount a minus figure.
    This should reverse the incorrect entry.

Now make the entry as you should have made it using the "S" supplier and match it to Voda Plumbing.

Update and check your detailed ledger for supplier and your detailed ledger for "maintenance" to see that it has been sorted.
    No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop "The Lion and the Mouse"

Thanks
    I second what Mike has suggested, but I would like to add that you need to edit the mapping rule that you have created in Bank Manager, so that the error does not repeat itself for future payments to that supplier.
    Neville Bailey - Sage Pastel Accounting Consultant
    www.accountingsoftwaresupport.co.za
    neville@accountingsoftwaresupport.co.za
    IronTree Online Solutions

"Give every person more in use value than you take from them in cash value."
    WALLACE WATTLES (1860-1911)

Thanks
    Hi Mike & Neville,

Thank you both for your replies. Sorry I've taken such a time to reply. I try to follow your instructions at the time but did not come right. I've been procrastinating since then and finally now I need to get this done. I'm actually in the General Journal right now trying to do the correction. Sorry, I think your steps may assume more knowledge than I have. I have a feeling I should not even be in the General Journal.

"Now make the exact same entry that you did under payments using the GL Account "Maintenance". Same date ... same reference same everything ... EXCEPT make the amount a minus figure.
    This should reverse the incorrect entry. Now make the entry as you should have made it using the "S" supplier and match it to Voda Plumbing.
    "

Mike - are you meaning I need to be in the cashbook to do this correction?

Thanks
    Hi michellepace. Sorry for the misunderstanding. Yes you need to be in the cashbook.
    No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop "The Lion and the Mouse"

Thanks

Lightbulb

Hello,

I seem to come across this problem every few months. I come back to the answers of this post, I scratch my head for a while. I do a few backups and restores. And then finally I get it right. So, here's a screenshot which explains in pastel ... maybe easier than slippery words. Mike and Neville - - thank you once again. Really, this post has helped me on and off for over a year! (I have a memory like a goldfish). Thank you . A larger view of the screenshot file:CLICK HERE

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Problem - Fixes - End Result.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	83.8 KB 
ID:	7761

7. Thanks given for this post:

Mike C (03-Feb-20)