Quote Originally Posted by Izak Fick View Post
You will not be arrested for debt. Period. The process that has to be followed includes bringing you to a civil court and I bet you an Aussie dollar that nothing will happen to you. Just keep a low profile and sleep at night!
Thank you Izak! Insomnia because of debt is a kind of torture and I have 50 shades of dark circles under my eyes.

But I agree with you, from what I have learned sofar is for unsecured debt, banks will proceed with legal action to bring you to a civil court and may obtain a garnishee order or take your stuff if you have something, and should you come back to South Africa on a permanent basis they can implement the garnishee order on your salary.

However, if I have received a section 65 notice to appear in court and ignored it, a warrant for my arrest could be out. But this notice cannot be served by affixing, so, I must have accepted it in person from the sheriff. So, if I haven't been served by the sheriff in person because I wasn't even in South Africa and don't even know of such a notice, chances are that there is no warrant out for my arrest. This type of warrant is for contempt of court and not debt. It is not given to the police, but to the sheriff, who has nothing to do with the police. So theoretically the chances of such a warrant popping up on a customs official's computer at the airport is almost zero.