Thread: Cabtyre cabling not allowed in electrical installation

Thanks

Cabtyre cabling not allowed in electrical installation

Good day

My name is Munnik an i am a installation electrician

Can someone explain to me why you not allowed to use cabtyre cabling in an electrical installation.

I have ask many other electrician but no one give me answer that makes sense.

Thanks in advance

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    The SANS 10142 regulation 6.1.11(pasted below ) does not allow you to use flexible cords in an installation would be the easy answer

The reason behind it I have always understood the insulation is not the same standard as T&E .
    There are flexible cords that are made to higher standards and could be acceptable in the future.But for the time being 6.1.11 applies

6.1.11 Flexible cords shall not be used as part of the electrical installation,
    except where
    a) required by the relevant product solely for termination or connection of
    moving parts,
    b) specified in the product standard,
    c) used as single cores in conduits,
    d) used in an authorized wiring system (see 3.5), or
    e) needed for the connection of luminaires, provided that each connection is
    limited to one luminaire and to a maximum length of 3 m.

3. Thanks given for this post:

Dave A (15-May-19)

Thanks
    Flexible cords can be manufactured to far higher specifications than installation cable such as twin and earth, I think the big problem with flexible cords is that they're fine stranded wiring which requires some type of ferrule when it's terminated. Most terminations in electrical accessories and in DB's are designed for the solid type conductors or coarse stranded type conductors which are found in installation cables and aren't suitable for fine stranded wiring.

Email problem
    Thanks
    i wouldnt say db boards are not suited for fine stranded wire. a bootlace ferrule works well.
    maybe its to do with the greater chances of it being abused in an installation. the green yellow earth wire being used as live conductors. i think from 6mm up you can use flexible cable anywhere in an installation.

Thanks
    An old thread, but I note that flexible cord is apparently now allowed in an electrical installation provided colour standards are adhered to and one uses ferrules for terminations.

6.1.11 Where flexible cords are used as part of the electrical installation, the
    selection, installation and colour identification (see 6.3.3) shall be done in
    accordance with this part of the standard.
    6.1.12 Where flexible cords are used, the strands of the conductors shall be
    mechanically protected with ferrules to prevent the strands from being cut off
    in terminations.

No mention of maximum length. So you only need to mark the blue wire with black tape / sleeve and use ferrules for terminations?

I quoted the draft regulations, so apologies if this was not applied in the published version and please correct me if I have the wrong end of the stick.

Keep safe

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nieuwfam View Post
    An old thread, but I note that flexible cord is apparently now allowed in an electrical installation provided colour standards are adhered to and one uses ferrules for terminations.

6.1.11 Where flexible cords are used as part of the electrical installation, the
    selection, installation and colour identification (see 6.3.3) shall be done in
    accordance with this part of the standard.
    6.1.12 Where flexible cords are used, the strands of the conductors shall be
    mechanically protected with ferrules to prevent the strands from being cut off
    in terminations.

No mention of maximum length. So you only need to mark the blue wire with black tape / sleeve and use ferrules for terminations?

I quoted the draft regulations, so apologies if this was not applied in the published version and please correct me if I have the wrong end of the stick.

Keep safe
    You are correct. The change was introduced in Edition 3. Effective date of publication appears to be 27th July 2020.