Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Twin-earth cable sheathing removed

Thanks

Twin-earth cable sheathing removed

Greetings,

Is it a good practice to remove the sheathing on NM/twin & earth cable to run them through a conduit on house wiring?
    I'm just curious because the contractor which installed my house stripped the white cover or sheathing of twin & earth cable.
    The thing is, when we switch on other lights in the house, the is a strange inference on TV. I phone the contractor and notified them, but hey said I must replace the LED lights with normal energy saver or incandescent bulbs.

We did as they said and is working. But I wonder why the wiring doesn't allow LED lights on other rooms, whereas the same LED work fine on other rooms?

Please help and thank you in advance.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ishmaelmo View Post
    Greetings,

Is it a good practice to remove the sheathing on NM/twin & earth cable to run them through a conduit on house wiring?
    I'm just curious because the contractor which installed my house stripped the white cover or sheathing of twin & earth cable.
    The thing is, when we switch on other lights in the house, the is a strange inference on TV. I phone the contractor and notified them, but hey said I must replace the LED lights with normal energy saver or incandescent bulbs.

We did as they said and is working. But I wonder why the wiring doesn't allow LED lights on other rooms, whereas the same LED work fine on other rooms?

Please help and thank you in advance.
    This is the LED type I'm talking about.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190507_190956.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	23.8 KB 
ID:	7544  

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Morning

I have had a similar experience with a customer. And it was found to be the LED bulbs. At this particular customer his TV had an Hdmi cable to his TV so we changed this to rca cables and the interference went away.

The customer went and bought another HDMI cable and problem solved.

The reason the twin and earthed was stripped is due to space in the Conduit so my guess is that there are too many conductors this can also cause interference.

4. Thanks given for this post:

Ishmaelmo (09-May-19)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanM View Post
    Morning

I have had a similar experience with a customer. And it was found to be the LED bulbs. At this particular customer his TV had an Hdmi cable to his TV so we changed this to rca cables and the interference went away.

The customer went and bought another HDMI cable and problem solved.

The reason the twin and earthed was stripped is due to space in the Conduit so my guess is that there are too many conductors this can also cause interference.
    Okay thanks. It seems like the is no other way than to replace all LED lights which interfere with the TV.
    Thanks SeanM, I thought maybe they don't want to repair wiring. Will have to apologize to them☺

Thanks
    Some of the LED lamps available locally are attrocious quality and can cause interference. Rather pay a bit extra and get a good brand of LED lamp like Enlite, they'll last longer, they're designed to handle surges and spikes, they're power factor corrected, more efficient, run cooler, consume less power and they'll maintain better brightness and colour rendering over time. I believe the phrase is 'buy cheap, buy twice', unfortunately however with LED lamps it's 'buy cheap buy thrice'.

Thanks
    Yip also dont think its the wiring, LED technology works on impulses, and the cheaper ones havent the advanced technology in them so as to save costs.
    For slightly extra, buy the best there is and you are good to go. Some lamps even cause radio and TV reception issues.

Thanks
    Inferior LED lighting and radio don't go together. A local armed response company replaced the fluorescents in their control room with LED tubes. Big mistake. The interference on the radio's was so bad that they couldn't communicate with the response units. Changed all back to fluorescents again.

The same company purchased " top of the range " LED spotlights for their vehicles. Same story .... with the spotlights on, no radio comms possible.

I have been experimenting with LED lights and have found heavy interference on radios, however, strangely, I have yet to find one that causes interference on the TV.

Maybe there's someone that can explain this.

Derek

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Derlyn View Post
    however, strangely, I have yet to find one that causes interference on the TV.

Maybe there's someone that can explain this.

Derek
    Analogue TV like old SABC. DSTV is digital so very little will interfere with the signal.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Stripping the insulation off twin+e will not make any difference...however surf ix would because it has an aluminium sheath...but wouldnt solve your lighting issue...that is just plane rubbish sold illegally.

Led lights come with a ton of challenges ...flickering ...buzzing...interference...the cheaper the more challenges and the less hours they last.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    Led lights come with a ton of challenges ...flickering ...buzzing...interference...the cheaper the more challenges and the less hours they last.
    What really annoys me, is that as a local manufacturer, when ever I wish to sell to these wholesales, the first question they ask is if I have NCRS certification, yet the stuff they import, they don't even think about asking the question.

Just finished getting one test report for a new product that I am manufacturing, the amount of wasted time, and promises was unbelievable to get the certificate, never mind the expenses of driving up and down numerous times, to get everything in order to get the test done and passed. Granted there were some challenges because the product is not a standard off the shelf electrical system.

All products sold to the public, MUST have an LOA or RCC certification, or else it may not be installed. This means lighting as well, and must pass the EMI and EMR maximum allowable noise levels.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast