Thread: Smart homes lighting

Diamond Member
    Thanks

Smart homes lighting

Time to get smart ...but actually just want to remote control garden lights fed from a pool DB 20 m away from the house.

I have been looking into the sonoff product ...it looks like it can do the job ...anyone has experience with this product or can suggest a better product?

I have started install occupation sensors around my house...found that in some rooms it is better to install a limit switch on the entrance door.

I have tried the following occupation sensors

Hager ... works well ...have like 15 of them in a factory...havent replaced any yet.

spazio ... takes too long to switch on

radiant ... i have it in my kitchen ...very sensitive and works well.

AC/DC unit ...heard a click and saw smoke ...i must have wired it wrong...no user instruction...should have looked on the www.

have a no name american brand ... works well ...replaced 3 since i installed them.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Hi Ians

We generally use Schneider occupancy sensor and have very little comeback.
    If they are faulty it is usually str away and in the last year maybe 3 we had to replace a month after installation.That 3 would be from 400 odd sensors bought

For remote - there is also a click on product that so far for us has given no problem

Thanks
    Are you thinking about a simple occupancy sensor or are you thinking about a smart control where you can operate the lights via an app on your phone?

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyD View Post
    Are you thinking about a simple occupancy sensor or are you thinking about a smart control where you can operate the lights via an app on your phone?

Busy with both...been testing a few occupancy sensors and have a few projects which require remote switching.

The remote switching ...to switch garden lights connected to the pool DB from the house...20 m away ... i could dig a trench and run a cable back to the house...up the wall through the ceiling and down into the lounge...the cost would be way more than just fitting a controller of sorts in the pool DB...

I have considered installing a sonoff basic switch or fitting a receiver the same as the gate and making one button of the remote switch on and off the lights.

The sonoff basic is around R150 (you can find them cheaper) but the remote wireless switch costs a kidney (around R450) ...you could just use the app on your phone.

gate remote option is way cheaper but you would require a 12 power supply and a relay etc.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Hi. Anyone tried the Silux product. It's being supplied by ACDC dynamics(which I don't like). Just wonder if it's any good?

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingsparks View Post
    Hi. Anyone tried the Silux product. It's being supplied by ACDC dynamics(which I don't like). Just wonder if it's any good?
    AC/DC are way too expensive...i am also finding the products they supply are becoming more inferior by the day.

What ever you dont buy stuff from AC/DC and return it... they have a pay right now ...but we we will credit you for the junk when we get around to it ...the product was faulty (absolute rubbish quality) they replaced the item ...but i tested in the store before i left and found the new product was also faulty ...bad connections out the box... worse quality than buying from the China mall....i ended up going at them on facebook 6 months after i got a credit note...they then escalated the issue to management...it took another 2 weeks to get my money...and now once again we are at it again...credit note in FEB 2019 ...still waiting for them to credit my account (COD account) ...while in the store there was another very unhappy customer who had not received his R9000 credit to his account since the beginning of the year.

I tried to find out info about their solar systems...i wouldnt rate their support or technical team...not very helpful....it could be that they only treat small business in that manner because we are out of their sales league...which makes me wonder why they have opened stores to the public if they dont want to waste time with individuals and small business...competing with the china malls with the product quality they sell...they are certainly not in the same legue as Electro mechanica and the like when it comes to product quality.