Thread: Flickering CFL light

Thanks

Flickering CFL light

I know that this subject has been covered extensively but I would like to present a problem which has recently cropped up in my home. Last week i replaced an Osram 14W,133mA-50/60Hz lamp as it had burnt out. When removing it I noticed that it flickered. I replaced it with a PnP 14W CFL (no details of mA or Hz).
    When we went to bed it was switched off but later started flickering and had to be removed at 00:30. Not best pleased. It was put back in the fitting in the morning but is flickering constantly. The Veti switch has a pilot light but never caused any problem with the old lamp which was installed first used in 3/2013 and installed in the light fitting I speak of in 4/2017.
    Any of you fundis have any solutions?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I suspect your light switch is faulty, replace the light switch.
    The CFL light has inductance in it, and with every switch off it has degraded the contacts and created a carbon track inside the switch which is probably causing the flickering that you see when it is off. You will probably note that some times you switch the light switch on, and the light does not come on, fiddling the switch on/off then makes the light work. Thhe fiddling of the switch causes the carbon over the contacts to break away and electrical contact is made.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Hi
    We have come across the flickering light scenario a couple of times with switches and the pilot light wired incorrectly
    It has work on the previous lamps and suddenly new lamps , updated electronics and it is a problem.
    Often you will find the pilot light wired across the light switch contacts - Pilot light on when switch is off and pilot light off when switch is on.
    The pilot light should be wired across live and neutral to stop the problem. Unfortunately you may find there is no neutral in the switch box.
    If you don't have a neutral , disconnect the pilot light and see if the fault disappears .

Thanks
    hi, thanks to you both. At least I have some point of reference to go on. i\ll post hoe i get on at a later date.

Thanks
    Well I sorted it out the cheapest way. Did not call out an electrician but just replace with halogen bulb. Problem sorted.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Your problem is not sorted , just hidden for the time being until you can no longer purchase halogen lamps .
    The higher wattage on the halogen is consuming the leakage current that is present without the naked eye being able to see it

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GCE View Post
    Your problem is not sorted, just hidden for the time being until you can no longer purchase halogen lamps.
    The higher wattage on the halogen is consuming the leakage current that is present without the naked eye being able to see it
    I realize that it's not a proper fix. However, it will do me for the time being. Thanks for your help, it's been invaluable.