Thread: help required with COC queries

Thanks

help required with COC queries

Hi,

I have just had a COC done on my deceased fathers home so I can transfer it into my name and am not entirely convinced that all the reported issues are required or if the inspector is trying to make a fast buck!

Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

1. I have 12V garden lights which have a transformer and are plugged into an electrical socket all in a waterproof box installed on the wall of the house. The inspector has failed me saying I need to have a circuit breaker. Why is this necessary? An option would be for me to remove the lights as they are pretty old but he told me I couldn't do that as he has now done the inspection.

2. I have a generator which is wired into the house with a change over switch which I have never used but could be useful if load shedding gets worse. He says I need indicator lights, red and green. Why is this necessary?

3. There is a fan heater mounted on the kitchen wall which has a three pin plug which is not plugged in at the moment. The cable wasn't long enough so my father connected a longer cable with a connector (not sure what they are called) then covered with insulation tape and secured the cable to the wall. He says that I need a proper box? which has to be wall mounted.
    4. He says the DB needs new labels. The labels are legible, but some are different to others as more have been added over time. My father used black permanent marker to label more precisely what each CB is for so instead of a label that just says plug.... he marked each one with exactly what its for in black marker. I cant imagine that a preprinted label is going to be more descriptive than what is written in permanent marker.

None of these things to me seem like deal breakers but then what do I know......can anyone please offer some advise?

Thank you Honeybee
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190404_121614.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	38.3 KB 
ID:	7524  

Thanks
    Further to the above what I've just been reading on this forum is that "anything on a plug top does not form part of the COC" would that be the case for the fan heater?

Email problem
    Thanks
    1. I have 12V garden lights which have a transformer and are plugged into an electrical socket all in a waterproof box installed on the wall of the house. The inspector has failed me saying I need to have a circuit breaker. Why is this necessary? An option would be for me to remove the lights as they are pretty old but he told me I couldn't do that as he has now done the inspection. the regulation does specify overload protection and fuses may not be used anymore. the length of the 12 volt cables are also limited. rather remove it if you can . you can remove what you want. its only if the buyer has bought the house before the inspection then you cant remove permanent fixtures.

2. I have a generator which is wired into the house with a change over switch which I have never used but could be useful if load shedding gets worse. He says I need indicator lights, red and green. Why is this necessary? EDIT if the gennie/inverter supplies certain circuits of a dis. board then visual indication is needed. if the main supply is connected to the alternative supply then you dont need it .

3. There is a fan heater mounted on the kitchen wall which has a three pin plug which is not plugged in at the moment. The cable wasn't long enough so my father connected a longer cable with a connector (not sure what they are called) then covered with insulation tape and secured the cable to the wall. He says that I need a proper box? which has to be wall mounted. he is correct ,you need a proper connection box. if the fan heater is fixed to the wall its part of the electrical installation.

4. He says the DB needs new labels. The labels are legible, but some are different to others as more have been added over time. My father used black permanent marker to label more precisely what each CB is for so instead of a label that just says plug.... he marked each one with exactly what its for in black marker. I cant imagine that a preprinted label is going to be more descriptive than what is written in permanent marker. the regulations are specific about it being a permanent fixed label. a marker wont be acceptable.

Thanks
    Thank you for the explanation, really appreciated.

Thanks
    As far as I know .... if the property is being transferred onto your name because of an inheritance and the deceased left the property to you, his son, in his will and there are no bonds concerned then a new COC is not required for the registration to take place. There is no deed of sale.

Derek