Thread: All Nationwide flights grounded

Thanks

All Nationwide flights grounded

The civil aviation authority has grounded all Nationwide flights. Anyone been (or going to be) affected by this?

Here is the notice on Nationwide's website,

30 November 2007

Dear Valued Customer :

Early this morning we determined that the South African Civil Aviation Authority (SA C.A.A.) has suspended our Aviation Maintenance Organization (AMO) license.

We apologize profusely for any inconvenience or confusion that has been caused.

With immediate effect, all flights have been suspended until further notice. We have approached the C.A.A. for further details and guidance in respect of any actions they would like us to implement that would enable them to reinstate the AMO’s license at which point normal operations will resume.

Safety is our number one priority and we will not compromise the safety of our customers or crew.

We do not anticipate a prolonged disruption of air service due to the close cooperation that exists between the Civil Aviation Authority and Nationwide Airlines.

Once again we apologize for the inconvenience you have experienced. We thank you in advance for your cooperation at this difficult time.

Nationwide ticket – holders will be given an opportunity to either re-book or have their tickets refunded. More detailed information will be available from airline customer service personal at airports served by Nationwide Airlines and we will keep you updated on the website.
    [SIGPIC]Engineer Simplicity[/SIGPIC]
    Turn ideas into products | The Art of Engineering blog

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Ouch, this must hurt! Wonder how long and if they had been skirting the edges, not providing compliance proof etc etc.....if only that engine could have behaved itself and not left it's housing on that day and in that manner.....dagnamit!
    Regards

Debbie
    debbie@stafftraining.co.za

From reception to management training, assertiveness, accountability or interviewing skills, we have a wide range of training workshops available for you!
    www.stafftraining.co.za

Find us on
    Facebook

Thanks
    Apparently they had already been investigating Nationwide before the whole engine-falling-off-the-wing incident.

A LOT of people are going to be inconvienanced over the festive season it would seem. Rather that than the alternative though....

Thanks
    What is interesting is that you can still search and book flights....

You can also find more info here.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I heard yesterday that Nationwide had lost their appeal. It seems that a number of contraventions were found, enough to justify the full grounding it seems.

Personally, I'm glad the CAA has taken a strong stand on this. I hope they'll do the same without fear or favour if anyone else starts flirting with civil aviation standards too. It is a strong precedent, and a timely warning to the pencil sharpeners that safety cannot be played with.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Nationwide is back in the air, and back to business as usual by the looks of things.

I also see they're also looking for an investment partner.
    Whittle denied that the airline was planning to sell, but said it was looking for an investment partner.

"We've been looking for an investment partner for years. It is nothing new," he said.
    from IOL article here
    Reminds me of something Richard Branson said ages ago about how to make a small fortune. It was something like "Start with a big fortune and go into the airline business."