Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Laptop getting hot

  1. #1
    Full Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Pietermaritzburg
    Posts
    62
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Laptop getting hot

    Hi All

    I have an Asus S 550 CB laptop. It really is a nice laptop for its age.

    I have noticed that it has began to get progressively warmer, not to the point of shutting down...but its hot.

    I have removed the fan housing and cleaned it but I must say there was hardly any dirt that could be blocking the fan. I was not able to strip the fan apart as I did not know how to.

    Anyone have experience in this area and can assist with some advise please.

    Thanks
    Kavesh

  2. #2
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    east london south africa
    Posts
    106
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
    Well some laptops do actuall run hot, im not saying leave it but what you can do is the following.

    You need to find out what the problem is as there are a number of issues that can cause this, my first suggestion :

    First Diagnose with software ":
    Speed fan is another software but is intended for Windows only. Mac (OSX) user smcFancontrol. These are temperature monitoring program for fan speed, voltage and processor temperature. It has access to info which helps to evaluate your hard disk’s temperature.

    Core Temp is a tool for the laptop as well as for all desktops. It shows the temperature of each core in colored numbers in the notification area.

    Real Temp is specially designed to determine the temperature for all Intel Single, dual and quad-core processors. It tracks out all the lowest and highest temperatures since when you opened the program.

    If you find issues its best to take it in.


    Some possible causes

    Insufficient Cooling because of the non-working fan.
    Check Air Flow and Heat Transfer for blockages and dust.
    Hardware failure

    Check for Dying Batteries
    See if your processing load is causing the issue
    ---Malware attack
    Ambient temperatures ?!?
    Graphic Design company in East London South Africa | Web design company in East London South Africa
    " A plumbers tap always leaks " - Great advice from a forum member

  3. Thanks given for this post:

    kavesh (19-Mar-19)

  4. #3
    Full Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Pietermaritzburg
    Posts
    62
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks for the information. I will try download speed fan and see how that goes.
    With the age of the laptop now about 4 or 5 years old, its really not worth spending money letting an IT guy have a look at it. Its a really nice laptop that has been well taken care of and would love to use it for a bit longer.
    I don't have the luxury of saying my 3 year old laptop is fully depreciated and now I can just replace with a new one.
    I will post any results from the speed fan, hopefully its easy enough to work with.

  5. #4
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    east london south africa
    Posts
    106
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
    I see your point, If it is the fan ( which by the sound of it wont be clogged up ) you can always get a cooling pad. I also have a HP which is about 6 years old and I love it more than my brand new asus.

    One thing I noted with my Hp is as operating systems upgrade ( even Win 7 which I think they will stop updating soon ) is that the newer updates are always heaver on the cpu, meant for newer cpu's I suppose.

    I run windows 7 ( on the Hp ) had 10 hated it and the load on the old hp was so heavy with 10 it was unbearable.

    With my asus which is about a year and a bit old now after every few windows 10 updates I can see the difference in performance ( ie dropping ) due to just a more demanding os in the Cpu.

    It sucks but great way to keep you buying a new laptop every few years
    Graphic Design company in East London South Africa | Web design company in East London South Africa
    " A plumbers tap always leaks " - Great advice from a forum member

  6. #5
    Full Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Pietermaritzburg
    Posts
    62
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks for that info.

    My Asus came with windows 8.1 and they offered an upgrade to windows 10 a few years later.

    From what I understand and have been told my Asus is a 3rd gen i7. An IT guy told me that the 3rd gen i7's suck compared to a more recent i3.
    I hoped that the SSD would have at least stablised the machine to decent performance but it did little in terms of performance enhancement.
    The IT guy also told me that whenever he does installations he disables the windows updates. I wonder whether that is a good idea?

    I know my fan does work as i can feel the air blow and especially when it warms up.

    It is just so frustrating

  7. #6
    Site Caretaker Dave A's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Durban, South Africa
    Posts
    21,572
    Thanks
    3,119
    Thanked 2,512 Times in 2,115 Posts
    Blog Entries
    12
    I"m not familiar with the Asus, but if there is a power manager, have you optimised for performance? And downrated temperature issues by any chance?
    The trouble with opportunity is it normally comes dressed up as work.

    Alcocks Electrical Services | Alcocks Pest Control & Entomological Services

  8. #7
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    east london south africa
    Posts
    106
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kavesh View Post
    Thanks for that info.

    My Asus came with windows 8.1 and they offered an upgrade to windows 10 a few years later.

    From what I understand and have been told my Asus is a 3rd gen i7. An IT guy told me that the 3rd gen i7's suck compared to a more recent i3.
    I hoped that the SSD would have at least stablised the machine to decent performance but it did little in terms of performance enhancement.
    The IT guy also told me that whenever he does installations he disables the windows updates. I wonder whether that is a good idea?

    I know my fan does work as i can feel the air blow and especially when it warms up.

    It is just so frustrating
    As for the processor part its somewhat true without knowing the exact i3 gen I cant say but newer generation processors are much more efficient at what they do in most cases even if they have fewer cores. So there is truth to that.

    The ssd do improve performance, there are few cases where it would not such as a more recent CPU and core-logic chipset, Is it configured correctly though ?
    Ensure your SATA controller runs in AHCI mode
    Avoid Disk Defragmentation
    Make sure TRIM is running
    Verify Hibernation is disabled
    Enable Write Caching for SSD
    Make sure the SSD partition is aligned
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    https://www.disk-partition.com/artic...down-7201.html


    All the above is from there its not a uncommon issue but one that people can resolve.

    As for the Windows 10 Updates you are honestly asking the wrong guy, As ive said I have 7 on my older hp which i work with most of the time, on my asus i have ten and i have disabled updates, one day when im forced to work on ten I will have a look to see what are better options. Supposedly from the bit that I have discussed on this topic before i gave up on WIN 10 the updates provide important performance enhancements which is great if you have a newer laptop that can utilize it to its fullest not so good if you have a laptop that is already struggling another important feature of updates is security.

    Windows 8 ( never had it ) i heard was an abomination of a OS and this is agreed upon by all people on the web lol and when tech guys agreee on something you know it must be thruth because they love arguing. If you are still on 8 it may be worthwhile to check out 10 ( Make sure you can rollback in the case it makes things worse ) although for older laptops ten takes a lot of configuration to get running smoothly like everything after windows seven, options almost seem hidden you have to go through a few online tutz to find them i know i did.

    To be dead honest with you, I loved windows all the way to seven, after 8 and 10 my next laptop will be a Mac ( even though i dont like them )

    Lastly airflow is good, so no glogging in that part. When last have blown out the laptop case for dust ? Dust can also wreak havoc as a static component inside the case.

    Ive done a few blow outs before and man it changed my laptop it almost felt it ran faster.

    What temps did you get on your gpu and cpu ?
    Graphic Design company in East London South Africa | Web design company in East London South Africa
    " A plumbers tap always leaks " - Great advice from a forum member

  9. #8
    Full Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Pietermaritzburg
    Posts
    62
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    I"m not familiar with the Asus, but if there is a power manager, have you optimised for performance? And downrated temperature issues by any chance?
    Hi Dave, I was not able to find a power manger on my Asus.

  10. #9
    Full Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Pietermaritzburg
    Posts
    62
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by New Perspective studio View Post
    As for the processor part its somewhat true without knowing the exact i3 gen I cant say but newer generation processors are much more efficient at what they do in most cases even if they have fewer cores. So there is truth to that.

    The ssd do improve performance, there are few cases where it would not such as a more recent CPU and core-logic chipset, Is it configured correctly though ?
    Ensure your SATA controller runs in AHCI mode
    Avoid Disk Defragmentation
    Make sure TRIM is running
    Verify Hibernation is disabled
    Enable Write Caching for SSD
    Make sure the SSD partition is aligned
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    https://www.disk-partition.com/artic...down-7201.html


    All the above is from there its not a uncommon issue but one that people can resolve.

    As for the Windows 10 Updates you are honestly asking the wrong guy, As ive said I have 7 on my older hp which i work with most of the time, on my asus i have ten and i have disabled updates, one day when im forced to work on ten I will have a look to see what are better options. Supposedly from the bit that I have discussed on this topic before i gave up on WIN 10 the updates provide important performance enhancements which is great if you have a newer laptop that can utilize it to its fullest not so good if you have a laptop that is already struggling another important feature of updates is security.

    Windows 8 ( never had it ) i heard was an abomination of a OS and this is agreed upon by all people on the web lol and when tech guys agreee on something you know it must be thruth because they love arguing. If you are still on 8 it may be worthwhile to check out 10 ( Make sure you can rollback in the case it makes things worse ) although for older laptops ten takes a lot of configuration to get running smoothly like everything after windows seven, options almost seem hidden you have to go through a few online tutz to find them i know i did.

    To be dead honest with you, I loved windows all the way to seven, after 8 and 10 my next laptop will be a Mac ( even though i dont like them )

    Lastly airflow is good, so no glogging in that part. When last have blown out the laptop case for dust ? Dust can also wreak havoc as a static component inside the case.

    Ive done a few blow outs before and man it changed my laptop it almost felt it ran faster.

    What temps did you get on your gpu and cpu ?
    Thanks for this detailed response. I am going to research each of the points mentioned and revert.

Similar Threads

  1. 3 year old laptop
    By kavesh in forum Technology Forum
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 24-Jul-18, 12:48 PM
  2. New Laptop
    By kavesh in forum Technology Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-Jul-18, 01:05 PM
  3. [Question] I can't close my laptop lid, help?
    By lilafowler in forum Technology Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 24-Apr-18, 01:27 PM
  4. laptop advice
    By Christel in forum Technology Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-Mar-16, 03:17 PM
  5. Dell laptop
    By Christel in forum Technology Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-Sep-14, 09:04 AM

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •