Thread: Earth leakage on machine plugs

Diamond Member
    Thanks

Earth leakage on machine plugs

A question for you bright sparks...

Fitting plugs onto a machine...which has 5 pin 16 amp red plugs...there is no earth leakage on the existing plugs on any of the machines.

If the plugs are used for components on the machine and next to the machine...heaters... blowers etc?

The other question...

When you fit additional breakers...the circuit breakers on the machine are wired in the bottom out the top...how would you connect the new circuit breakers?

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Hi Ians

You get a 3 phase socket that you can clock the earth pin and thereby stop a normal 5 pin plug top from fitting - My understanding was that these sockets where for machine type equipment installations and exempt from ELU. I stand corrected
    We were once supplied the plug tops in error and wondered why we could not get them to fit.

I would keep the CB make the same and wire it the same to prevent confusion when working within the panel.Maybe just stick a label on the panel door "reverse wiring "
    More than likely some strange type breaker - then use a make that the manufacturer allows reverse wiring.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GCE View Post
    You get a 3 phase socket that you can clock the earth pin and thereby stop a normal 5 pin plug top from fitting - My understanding was that these sockets where for machine type equipment installations and exempt from ELU. I stand corrected
    Does this help?

6.16.1.6 Where a socket-outlet in accordance with SANS 164-1, SANS 164-2, SANS 164-3, or SANS 60309-1 and SANS 60309-2 is part of the appliance (built-in), the circuit shall be protected by overcurrent and earth leakage protection (see 6.15.) Socket-outlets in accordance with SANS 164-4 shall have overcurrent protection.

The implication seems to be if the socket outlet does not comply with any of those standards, the requirement for earth leakage protection may fall away..? Perhaps under the dedicated socket outlet clauses?

The challenge is whether one falls foul of some other part of the standard.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    Does this help?

6.16.1.6 Where a socket-outlet in accordance with SANS 164-1, SANS 164-2, SANS 164-3, or SANS 60309-1 and SANS 60309-2 is part of the appliance (built-in), the circuit shall be protected by overcurrent and earth leakage protection (see 6.15.) Socket-outlets in accordance with SANS 164-4 shall have overcurrent protection.

The implication seems to be if the socket outlet does not comply with any of those standards, the requirement for earth leakage protection may fall away..? Perhaps under the dedicated socket outlet clauses?

The challenge is whether one falls foul of some other part of the standard.
    The other question would be...do the plugs wired "on a machine" fall under the sans or oshact.

It looks like i am going to have to do my homework.