Thread: Creating/Importing Customer Account Balances

Thanks

Creating/Importing Customer Account Balances

Good Afternoon All,

Thank you for this great platform, I must really applaud the founders of this forum as one get the opportunity to learn daily and get solutions to nerve-wrecking problems...thank you!

I am seeking your wisdom ones again...

We run a school and have as from this financial year (2019) changed the chart of accounts of the school. I am now to bring in the current debtors with their balances as listed on the age-analysis end 2018. My problem is I have about 1042 debtors which includes the "unknown debtors account - 99999". Added to this dilemna is the fact that my age analysis headers does not reflect the learners names, only the customer codes!

Customer Age Analysis for Every Customer Aged Monthly as at 31/12/2018
    Name 120+ Days 90 Days 60 Days 30 Days Current Total Due
    1000 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00
    1001 3,095.00 0.00 0.00 500.00 0.00 3,595.00
    1002 255.00 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00 255.00

How can I bring in the 1042 customers' balances without having to journalise them one by one (can a journal be imported), in the new company with new chart of account?

Journal entry for take on balances? Dr/Cr individal customer accounts (there are some customers with credit balances)
    and Cr/Dr Opening balances account (9990/001).

I am honestly lost and need clear direction as to solving this issue at hand! Using Pastel Partner V18

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Rerun your age analysis - there is an option to "print descriptions" - at least then you will have the learners names. You can also export it to excel, to make the take-on journal easier to capture.

You can import a journal - the file format can be found under the help file. Search for import - then select the "Import/Export file layouts - GL journal and Cashbook" option.

To assist with understanding the file layout, process a Customer journal Debiting the customer and crediting Customer Opening Balance Suspense Account (created in the GL). Select the Batch...Export function - save your filename eg Jnl.csv. You can then open it in Excel and paste down the rest of the information you need. Save it as a csv and import it. Open the original file in notepad if you are stuck with where the quotes and commas need to be.

If you wish to post the opening balances into last year, before you import the batch, select the settings button, un-tick this year transactions - it will now say "Last year" in red, and you can bring the balances into period 12 last year.

Before you post the batch, backup your data - at least that way you can restore quickly, without manually undoing any messes created.